New Flame Hawkfish behavior

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I just got myself a flame hawkfish last 3 days ago. After I had introduced it to my DT.
All it do was perch & hide behind the rockworks.

I didn't see him coming out before whenever i was available nor when feeding time.
There is no case of bullying so far from my observation.

Is this a sign i should be worry? I checked its coloration still striking though.
Or is there anything I can do at this moment?

Thanks

AquaSpaces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey foxngn,

Nope I wouldn't worry that's exactly what they do but still be sure to check him daily along with all over livestock.

Soon he will dart out to eat and then go back to perching. Keep us updated

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Aquascape,

Noted on this.
Sometimes the way he rest kinda freak me out, as he like to lying down 1 side.

Will keep this post updated.

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Flame Hawkfish took a good week before he started coming out of hiding. Now he is all over the tank and seems kind of nosey to whats going on in the room. He can still be a little skittish at times if there is alot going on in the room or if I am cleaning the tank glass. Flame Hawkfish is by far my favorite SW fish.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Falco was shy at first, but now follows me around the room and around the tank. Comes out boldly for food and if I am near the tank. Give him time to adjust.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sad news.. I don't understand why, but i found out it died in a corner of my tank. :(

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sad news.. I don't understand why, but i found out it died in a corner of my tank. :(
Sorry to hear. Did he exhibit any signs of disease? Did you quarantine or do any meds? How's the shop where you got him from?

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Did he exhibit any signs of disease? Did you quarantine or do any meds? How's the shop where you got him from?

Hmm.. not really. I didn't quarantine as the shop got good reputation on their stock. Furthermore a few friends of my got the same stock of flame hawk, only mine happened to be dead.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's hard to say, but a hospital is good to make sure they're eating and observe for disease. You don't have to go crazy, a sponge filter and air pump, heater and that's all I do for part of their quarantine. Never know what they've been through, maybe yours got beat up in the store by another fish or something, but a small quarantine stay at least let's me know coming from the store whether it's me or the store. I buy from some iffy stores and good stores, ironically the only fish loss was from the good store. You can never know what an individual fish has gone through or how well they've been fed unfortunately.

Sorry for your loss.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear :(

Lmdw121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
My flame is acting strange. This is my 2nd one. The first one died and I didn't know why- he only lasted 2 weeks. This one I have now for a week and a half was eating fine at first, got bullied a bit from my lawnmower Blenny and my dwarf flame angelfish and then started hiding more. He looks a bit pale in color and hides all the time and will not even come out to eat. I'm new at this but thought QT was a good idea. I just setup a plastic container on the inside top of my tank and put him in there till I notice a good change. Any ideas on how else to deal with this?
Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
My flame is acting strange. This is my 2nd one. The first one died and I didn't know why- he only lasted 2 weeks. This one I have now for a week and a half was eating fine at first, got bullied a bit from my lawnmower Blenny and my dwarf flame angelfish and then started hiding more. He looks a bit pale in color and hides all the time and will not even come out to eat. I'm new at this but thought QT was a good idea. I just setup a plastic container on the inside top of my tank and put him in there till I notice a good change. Any ideas on how else to deal with this?
Thanks
Sounds stressed from being bullied, which supresses it's immune system.

Removing it so it can calm down and gain strength is a good idea, however he will likely get bullied again when added back to the display. And if there is a disease in the tank wilp still be susceptible to that on his return.

Lmdw121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sh
Sounds stressed from being bullied, which supresses it's immune system.

Removing it so it can calm down and gain strength is a good idea, however he will likely get bullied again when added back to the display. And if there is a disease in the tank wilp still be susceptible to that on his return.
Should I just ride it out as I am doing and see what happens? How long should I keep him QT?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back