New Frag Tank Clean up Crew

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Setting up a 20gallon long QT frag tank for my 125. The idea is if i pick up any new frags with ich or velvet or any other crap on them i can let them burn out for 8 weeks in a qt frag tank before moving into the 125.

If i put a fish like a wrasse or a blenny in the frag tank to help keep it clean do i have to be concerned with the potential diseases using the fish to spread to all the frags? If so what is a good and safe clean up crew for a frag tank to accomplish this? snails ?

Thanks
Bill

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do 80 to 90 days in quarantine and run long contact time UV on QT from day 1.
Low flow through uv = long contact time

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i get that part my question is more about cleanup crew and if having a few utility fish in the frag tank would defeat the purpose

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also what UV do you recommend for only like 30 gallons 5-10 watt?

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 80 or 90 days is about the fish.
If you put a frag in there for 90 days and the fish doesn't show any signs of disease then the fish has also likely gone through the time frame needed to not be sick.
For a 30 that's probably good. I buy used commercial ones and run way more wattage than is probably sensible.
Try to add the frags in batches not continuously. I always end up buying a bunch of frags when sales hit or conventions.

I don't like snails for cleanup because they starve if they do a good job. Crabs you will have to feed, and they are kind of meh pets, so I would opt for a fish with some charm like a blenny.

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put a frag in there for 90 days and the fish doesn't show any signs of disease then the fish has also likely gone through the time frame needed to not be sick.
For a 30 that's probably good. I buy used commercial ones and run way more wattage than is probably sensible.
Try to add the frags in batches not continuously. I always end up buying a bunch of frags when sales hit or conventions.

I don't like snails for cleanup because they starve if they do a good job. Crabs you will have to feed, and they are kind of meh pets, so I would opt for a fish with some charm like a blenny.
yeah alright i was thinking like a lawnmower blenny and a 6 line or a springer damsel

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

run the uv at like what? 200 ghp? or slower ?

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah alright i was thinking like a lawnmower blenny and a 6 line or a springer damsel
I personally have a 20 gallon frag tank (different footprint). I have been running it for months with no fish, not because I don't think its a good idea, I just don't currently have a lid on the system and the fish that I would like would definitely jump in a 10" tall tank. That being said, the fish I will add after I pick out a lid are a yellow coris wrasse (for pest control, not to say they're the best option for pest control but their size is the main attraction for a smaller system) and a tailspot blenny (for algae, same situation as the wrasse). Utilitarian fish a 20g are slim pickings but these seem to be the best options IMO. Right now I have 3 trochus snails and a small hermit and they seem to keep up with the tanks demands quite well. It also depends on what your intentions are with the tank. I am just using mine as a grow out and haven't recently imported anything that would warrant a fish for pest control. If you plan to be buying and selling, constantly cycling new livestock through, a wrasse would be a must to help out with any issues that pop up, again IMO.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back