New Gem Tang Addition --WON in RAFFLE--

DanPerez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I am Extatic, its been a week that I won a Gem Tang in Oceanview Aquatics in Miami. They are an amazing set of guys over there!
I am super happy I won this amazing fish which I now have in QT for the past week and it is eating like a piggy.

However, the new challenge is here.. Remove my old Tangs from my reef in order to cater to this once in a life time fish. Will miss my Purple, Blonde Naso, Yellow, and Sailfin tang.. Cannot risk any trouble for the new gem..

With that said, what would you pair the new Gem with!?!?

Looking forward to the replies =]!

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrats on a beautiful addition! any pictures yet?
I'm going to tag along as I'm thinking about picking up a Gem also. I wanna add mine in with my black tang when I transfer my stock.

don't think it will play nice with any of the tangs you're removing?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd quarantine them in a large quarantine together if I were you, and treat them all. You might be surprised how they get along. In addition, should it go awry-- you can remove the aggressors.

Gem are more docile than most zebrasoma tangs but I've had lots of docile zebrasoma tangs with other far more aggressive zebrasoma tangs. In fact, if you added another of another species, it might increase your odds of success.

OP
OP
DanPerez

DanPerez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the thing lol I don't think I should risk my gem lol. Surprisingly, I think my purp will be less aggressive than my others. My Sailfin... lol he's the tough cookie!

OP
OP
DanPerez

DanPerez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have Gem in QT now.. just wanna get him eating good and healthy prior to DT. I will remove other tangs prior to introducing him to DT.

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purples the opposite and I will be letting him go this week to a fellow reefer.

did you have a fish in mind you wanted to add? I don't think you can avoid aggression unless its not another tang.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, I'd you want another tang along with him aim for a different body shape, the purple is definitely out IMO but you could shoot for a kole or lavender.

OP
OP
DanPerez

DanPerez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I as thinking of adding a black tang... not sure if I should be open to the risk.

What other beauties out there that ain't an everyday fish to add to my new group of babies =]?

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lavender, clown, leutenient, and powder blue are my favorites, and offer a definite color contrast and steal no thunder from your awesome new guy!

blueface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the gem fat & healthy & thru a full QT treatment then add him to the display in an acclimation box & you should be fine. How big is the DT?

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like I said in your other thread -- White Tail Bristletooth all the way! Sorry about photo quality, my phone isn't my camera of choice for fish photos. :p

white_tail.png

OP
OP
DanPerez

DanPerez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White bristle is super nice! Black tang is my calling I think! Anyone seen luck with the mix of black tang and gem?

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand you wanting insure the health of your Gem it would be cool to have a purple also and/or a yellow eye Kole

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't underestimate the power of a couple mirrors taped to the tank when he's first introduced. My Achilles would have ended up killing my yellow. One I put the mirrors up he couldn't stop trying to attack his reflection. After a couple days they were buds and I could take the mirrors down.

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't underestimate the power of a couple mirrors taped to the tank when he's first introduced. My Achilles would have ended up killing my yellow. One I put the mirrors up he couldn't stop trying to attack his reflection. After a couple days they were buds and I could take the mirrors down.
On the same thread of placing mirrors I saw a vid where the guy taped a pic of a larger yellow Tang and his yellow calmed right down. He tried it twice and it worked well

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back