New Gramma

SteveBo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the nano reef, have the evo 13.5....the cycle went great, added two very very small
Clowns, everything was still within range, healthy fish, added two snails and two hermit crabs for cleanup, few weeks and all still great. However I just added a very small gramma, and three days later I noticed a tiny spike in nitrites, but the ammonia didn’t spike (or I didn’t catch it as I only check parameters every three day or so now) I’ll keep an eye on it, but I guess I was just curious wether adding a new fish to a still young tank is it normal to see a slight temporary spike in ammonia and nitrites?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be surprised that your test kit could validly and reliably measure such changes even considering small volume of water - which one are you using? Wouldn't worry

OP
OP
SteveBo

SteveBo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the API master kit. The colors on ammonia, ph and nitrate are kinda broad. But that light powder blue on the nitrite test when it’s zero is pretty blatant when there’s a trace, even more so when the cycle was happening and my numbers shot up gradually every day, I used this kit everyday for 4 weeks logging numbers through my cycle. So yea , I can notice immediately a slight purple tinge to the solution, not so much to the next color level though. I figure it might just be the extra fish I added a few days ago, maybe the bacteria catching up? Like I said, I’m pretty fresh at this.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back