Help please?

Jamers442

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you are aware I have recently set up a new tank about 1 month ago, added fish last week, (2 Black Clowns, Scarlet Hawk, Royal Gramma and a small Zoa, my Ammonia is fine but Nitrates and Nitrites are at the higher end of the scale, I have done two 10% water changes in that first month the last one being Monday, Iam feeding frozen Mysis, (1 cube over 1-2 days), btw its a 240ltr approximately 55gallon, thanks James.

Aidan_823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you nitrites at? And Nitrates? If nitrites are more than zero, I would try to not feed them for 2, maybe 3 days, (they’ll be okay, don’t worry) test nitrite daily, if they start going down, feed less, or change foods. What mysis do you use? PE or the purple package? (I forgot the brand…) Or something completely different? and how fast do they finish the food when you put it in? Under 30-45 seconds or longer? If the nitrites are stable where they are, do a decent size w/c. Maybe %25/40 depending on how old the tank is. If it is under a month old, keep a close eye on fish and or coral if you have any. If it is older, you may be able to do a little bigger (if you would like).

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add some bacteria. Mb7 perhaps? Did you start with live sand and rock?

OP
OP
Jamers442

Jamers442

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you nitrites at? And Nitrates? If nitrites are more than zero, I would try to not feed them for 2, maybe 3 days, (they’ll be okay, don’t worry) test nitrite daily, if they start going down, feed less, or change foods. What mysis do you use? PE or the purple package? (I forgot the brand…) Or something completely different? and how fast do they finish the food when you put it in? Under 30-45 seconds or longer? If the nitrites are stable where they are, do a decent size w/c. Maybe %25/40 depending on how old the tank is. If it is under a month old, keep a close eye on fish and or coral if you have any. If it is older, you may be able to do a little bigger (if you would like).
Hi thanks for replying I will need to get back to you tomorrow with parameters and give you more details as I am at work atm, but I do really appreciate it

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! Glad you're here and a part of our collective obsession! Just chiming in on the speed you are adding fish. You've added quite a few in a very short time. I, personally, wouldn't add more than 1 ever 2 weeks. In a new tank (and one month is new), it can put a significant stress on the ecosystem. And IMHO saltwater ecosystems are fragile at best. I don't have much of a problem with nitrates (as they are an end product and not nearly as evil as nitrite and ammonia), but even nitrates should be controlled (and you can actually build a reactor or add plant life in a refugium to handle it). Definitely hold off on any further additions until your parameters are under control.

Concerning sand and live rock, I would SERIOUSLY consider both. I am setting my second tank in a few months and am aiming for about 2lbs per gallon of live rock and a sand bed of no more than 2 inches (read up on shallow vs deep sand beds). The surface area of live rock allows for increased Bacterial population due to all the nooks and crannies contained. And with bacteria (the good kind) comes control.

OP
OP
Jamers442

Jamers442

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning Aiden, Nitrites are reading about 2, Nitrates around 50, Mysis- unfortunately i threw the packaging out, they finish their food quickly probably under 30 secs, I will do a water change asap, thanks again: )

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 81 77.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back