Clownfish Pair Issues / Misc. Nano Reef Help!

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, hope all is well. I will get straight into it:

Red Sea MAX Nano Peninsula (26g)
  • 1 Snowflake Clown (presumed male), 1 Black Ocellaris Clown (presumed female)
  • 1 Royal Gramma (small/juvenile)
  • 1 Fire Shrimp
  • 1 Cleaner Shrimp
  • 4 Emerald Crabs
  • Just added my first frag as my tank has been running for 5(ish) months - Zoa frag, doing well. Taking coral slow :)
thumbnail_IMG_0774.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0773.jpg

I will keep it short and simple :D

QUESTIONS:

1. My Snowflake Clown is often bloated (especially after feeding). He seems perfectly healthy otherwise - always swimming about, never on his side or floating to the top, etc. He eats A LOT, which should be a good sign but perhaps I am overfeeding. Not to mention, I know I need to diversify his diet. Recently, I have only been feeding frozen mysis (5 days a week on average) - perhaps that has something to do with it? I do put some algae pellets and seaweed pellets in some nights for my inverts.
  2. It seems the Snowflake is often avoiding my Black Ocellaris, but when he gets 'picked' on he displays submissive behavior such as twitching. Anyways, could a Clownfish be too young to pair? I know every situation is different - perhaps I just need to be more patient. Hoping they pair up soon so his fins can start healing up a bit and I can see his true beauty. I have been dosing VitaChem in their food as well!
  3. Last but not least, can I add another fish (perhaps a Firefish) with my current stocking? I am very cautious about overstocking as I want my fish to be as healthy as can be. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I think that is for now. My water parameters are consistent and in a good range. The tank itself is clean and healthy besides a bit of hair algae (need to get some more snails as I was not a fan of my previous Mexican Turbos, any suggestions on that would be great as well). Anyways - thank you in advance for your help! :)

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 & 2 .... Just normal clown fish things. They will eat until they blow up, so moderate their feedings. 2-3 times a day in small amounts of varied foods is fine. And they will figure out the pecking order eventually. Can take months sometimes. I wouldn't worry about it unless one of them has torn fins.

3. Sure. That tank can take 3-5 fish as long as they are small. Neon Gobies, firefish, blenny's, royal gramma, Springer Damsel... Just be mindful of the order and types. Ex. Some blenny's like the Midas will fight with a royal gramma because they often inhabit the same areas of the tank. Neither will kill the other, but their health may go down after time.

4 emerald crabs isn't going to work I'm afraid. They are going to either starve or kill each other off. Wrap a piece of nori to a rock every week for them to eat. They take about 2-3 months do die off if there isn't a lot of algae for them to feed on.

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 & 2 .... Just normal clown fish things. They will eat until they blow up, so moderate their feedings. 2-3 times a day in small amounts of varied foods is fine. And they will figure out the pecking order eventually. Can take months sometimes. I wouldn't worry about it unless one of them has torn fins.
Ah thank you. I will definitely switch up their diet, but they are already so picky since they got used to mysis. Unfortunately, the Snowflake does have torn fins - hence why I am dosing Vita Chem. The torn fins weren't from the Black Ocellaris though, I used to have an Azure Damsel with them (which I have since gotten rid of, beginners mistake). The Black Ocellaris is picking on him now, but not much. Doesn't worry me because I knew it would happen at some point, and it looks like the Snowflake is already showing submission - hopefully they settle up soon!
3. Sure. That tank can take 3-5 fish as long as they are small. Neon Gobies, firefish, blenny's, royal gramma, Springer Damsel... Just be mindful of the order and types. Ex. Some blenny's like the Midas will fight with a royal gramma because they often inhabit the same areas of the tank. Neither will kill the other, but their health may go down after time.
Going to stay away from Damsels, but I think a firefish and goby could be cool. Should I add them before or after my Clownfish pair?
4 emerald crabs isn't going to work I'm afraid. They are going to either starve or kill each other off. Wrap a piece of nori to a rock every week for them to eat. They take about 2-3 months do die off if there isn't a lot of algae for them to feed on.
I had a hunch, I only got them because I had bubble algae a month ago and my LFS has a deal if you bought 5. I will bring a few back, maybe keep 1 or 2? And instead get some Cerith/Astrea snails. Thank you so much for your help!!! :D

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springer Damsels are actually pretty timid. I've even kept them with firefish with no issue. Yeah, LFS's are in it for the money first. Only way to keep the doors open. If you put some nori in there they will all go to it and will be easy to catch.

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springer Damsels are actually pretty timid. I've even kept them with firefish with no issue. Yeah, LFS's are in it for the money first. Only way to keep the doors open. If you put some nori in there they will all go to it and will be easy to catch.
They sure are a good looking fish - I will check them out. I think my plan as of now is to catch the emerald crabs and bring them back to exchange for a firefish. Then look into a damsel or goby, as well as get a few snails - no Turbos this time lol.

Thanks so much for your help!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone, hope all is well. I will get straight into it:

Red Sea MAX Nano Peninsula (26g)
  • 1 Snowflake Clown (presumed male), 1 Black Ocellaris Clown (presumed female)
  • 1 Royal Gramma (small/juvenile)
  • 1 Fire Shrimp
  • 1 Cleaner Shrimp
  • 4 Emerald Crabs
  • Just added my first frag as my tank has been running for 5(ish) months - Zoa frag, doing well. Taking coral slow :)
thumbnail_IMG_0774.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0773.jpg

I will keep it short and simple :D

QUESTIONS:

1. My Snowflake Clown is often bloated (especially after feeding). He seems perfectly healthy otherwise - always swimming about, never on his side or floating to the top, etc. He eats A LOT, which should be a good sign but perhaps I am overfeeding. Not to mention, I know I need to diversify his diet. Recently, I have only been feeding frozen mysis (5 days a week on average) - perhaps that has something to do with it? I do put some algae pellets and seaweed pellets in some nights for my inverts.
  2. It seems the Snowflake is often avoiding my Black Ocellaris, but when he gets 'picked' on he displays submissive behavior such as twitching. Anyways, could a Clownfish be too young to pair? I know every situation is different - perhaps I just need to be more patient. Hoping they pair up soon so his fins can start healing up a bit and I can see his true beauty. I have been dosing VitaChem in their food as well!
  3. Last but not least, can I add another fish (perhaps a Firefish) with my current stocking? I am very cautious about overstocking as I want my fish to be as healthy as can be. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I think that is for now. My water parameters are consistent and in a good range. The tank itself is clean and healthy besides a bit of hair algae (need to get some more snails as I was not a fan of my previous Mexican Turbos, any suggestions on that would be great as well). Anyways - thank you in advance for your help! :)
Bloated look after feeding not abnormal but avoid fatty foods long term. Twitching is a defense mechanism but dont wait until damage occurs. You may have to temporarily isolate the aggressor. Firefish generally cohabitate with each other

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bloated look after feeding not abnormal but avoid fatty foods long term. Twitching is a defense mechanism but dont wait until damage occurs. You may have to temporarily isolate the aggressor. Firefish generally cohabitate with each other
Would switching to a balanced flake food and only feeding mysis/brine shrimp a couple times a week be a healthy alternative?

As for pairing procedure, I was told to let them hash it out on their own as it would happen regardless. The black occy only just started asserting its dominance - but it doesn’t look abnormally harsh.. just kinda chasing off the Snowflake clown or squaring up with him. Would you recommend putting one in a breeder box or something along the lines of that? I don’t have another tank for long term separation. Thank you for your time!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would switching to a balanced flake food and only feeding mysis/brine shrimp a couple times a week be a healthy alternative?

As for pairing procedure, I was told to let them hash it out on their own as it would happen regardless. The black occy only just started asserting its dominance - but it doesn’t look abnormally harsh.. just kinda chasing off the Snowflake clown or squaring up with him. Would you recommend putting one in a breeder box or something along the lines of that? I don’t have another tank for long term separation. Thank you for your time!
Hash it out yes until it gets too aggressive. As for diet, some foods to feed:
TDO pellets
LRS Fish Frenzy
Small plankton
Chopped krill
Omega one or Ocean nutrition flakes

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twitching is a defense mechanism but dont wait until damage occurs. You may have to temporarily isolate the aggressor.
@vetteguy53081 sorry for the bother but I managed to catch some interesting behavior on video - I’m assuming they didn’t see me haha. Can you tell me what you think this display is? Apologies for the blue light

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 sorry for the bother but I managed to catch some interesting behavior on video - I’m assuming they didn’t see me haha. Can you tell me what you think this display is? Apologies for the blue light

As mentioned , defense mechanism and they are likely arguing/bickering for hierarchy. While it may subside, assure it does not result in damage to either fish. If so, isolation may be in order. Tank looks fairly new but when you reach the 4-5 month mark, adding a rainbow bubble tip anemone (RBTA) may break this up as they will find it a place to call home

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned , defense mechanism and they are likely arguing/bickering for hierarchy. While it may subside, assure it does not result in damage to either fish. If so, isolation may be in order. Tank looks fairly new but when you reach the 4-5 month mark, adding a rainbow bubble tip anemone (RBTA) may break this up as they will find it a place to call home
Thank you for the quick response. I am approaching the 4-5 month mark but am kind of working backwards now as I want to add more rock before going into corals. RBTA is definitely on my list though!

Last question for you.. Perhaps this just further shows my lack of patience and indecision - but I have been considering trading these 2 Clowns into my LFS to try going for an established pair or 2 more mature (non Juvenile) Clowns. I also wish I got some kind of Storm clown if I am being honest. Is this careless/inconsiderate of me to (for lack of better word) ‘abandon’ these 2? Of course they would be going to my LFS which is regarded as an upscale, caring store. Just wanted your input!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for the quick response. I am approaching the 4-5 month mark but am kind of working backwards now as I want to add more rock before going into corals. RBTA is definitely on my list though!

Last question for you.. Perhaps this just further shows my lack of patience and indecision - but I have been considering trading these 2 Clowns into my LFS to try going for an established pair or 2 more mature (non Juvenile) Clowns. I also wish I got some kind of Storm clown if I am being honest. Is this careless/inconsiderate of me to (for lack of better word) ‘abandon’ these 2? Of course they would be going to my LFS which is regarded as an upscale, caring store. Just wanted your input!
As for trade, now that tank has become established, would be a good time if that is your desire. Two different types of clowns often results in battle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back