New grow out tank set up

Afish70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased an Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon that i plan in using as a grow out/frag tank next to my current main display. My plan was to tank like 15-20 gallons of water from main display then add the remaining to fill up tank with new fresh salt water. I was planning on going bare bottom and then put in a few new pieces of rock. My thought was I would still need to add something like Dr Tim's One & Only and Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride. I was thinking the cycle would probably take like 2 weeks if I follow the Dr Tim's method. Does that sound right? Am I missing something? Kindly advise.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could plumb both tanks together, for example use a common sump, it would really be ideal.

OP
OP
Afish70

Afish70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could plumb both tanks together, for example use a common sump, it would really be ideal.
I am not running a sump for either. The new tank is an All In One so I would not be drilling or modifying it at all.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, well in that case, I would take several good sized rocks from the display and place them in the frag tank to speed up cycling. I would also place some new rocks in the display to make up for the ones you removed.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take live rock and water from the old tank and put it into your grow out tank, you shouldn’t have a cycling issue. Your old tank water, which is already cycled, is now in your new tank. I’d take the old water from the DT from water changes for a couple months and put it into the new tank.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah +1 to taking live rock from your display. There can (and probably are) some nitrifiers in your water column, but not gonna really be much. Won't really help.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back