New Hanna alk reagents are just as bad as the recalled ones!!!!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, here we go again. These are new replacement reagents that I got for the recalls. My alk has been steadily dropping and I've been increasing my dosing. It hit the wall today when I got a super low reading and I double checked with a salifert. After a reading of 90ppm (5dkh) with the Hanna the salifert clocked in at 12.5dkh. I opened a new Hanna reagent and it tested at 207 ppm (11.5dkh)!!!!

First test
image.jpeg

Fresh bottle
image.jpeg

The results of these reagents slowly decline until you get to the end of the bottle and somewhere in the 5 or less dkh range.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That hasn't happened with my replacement bottle but I'm going to recheck with Salifert tomorrow after hearing your story! I actually turned my doser down tonight because my readings had gradually climbed from 163 to 173.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got email back from Hanna. They said they haven't had any other issues with the replacement reagents. I'm sending them the lot code when I get home today.

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the bottle need to be shaken to keep it mixed up? Maybe the stuff at the bottom wasn't mixed?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a bottle yesterday afternoon from BRS. It seems to be working correctly. I'll have to rerun some hard tests.

Duberz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new replaced reagent is reading low as well so I have upped my dosing. Cross checked it with a new Red Sea kit and it was about 2.5 dkh higher! I checked both twice. Got 8.68 with Hanna and 11 with Red Sea.

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hanna reagents are terrible. last night i checked two times i got 147ppm and 144 ppm (~8.023 DKH) and salifert read 9.75 DKH. I give up on Hanna

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the bottle need to be shaken to keep it mixed up? Maybe the stuff at the bottom wasn't mixed?

It's something in the cap that reacts with the reagent and makes it read lower. The longer in contact with the cap the lower the reading gets over time. Those that store the reagent upright won't have much issues with it. I stored mine in the case which makes it lay on its side

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with the replacement reagent they sent me. Started giving crazy results towards the end of the bottle for some reason. There was also some debris floating inside the reagent , wonder if that skews the results?

Anyway, I always double checked my Alk using Salifert anyway so I just ditched the Hanna altogether, using Salifert exclusively now.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bugger, I am now worried about my Hanna Checker (The dKh version). My readings kept inching higher even with my Alk dosing having been stopped.

Better go pick up a Salifert test kit...

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I just received the new Hanna Alk checker that comes in dkh last week. Mines seem to be working just fine I also have a Red Sea test kit. I ran the test together and seems to be on point. Even tho I hate reading the Red Sea test kit result it's a pain to me

varyhare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any claim open or is it curtains for Hanna? Maybe they need to explain through this thread and to all of us. I can only imagine how many others this has happened to. I was tripling my doser and now I understand why. :mad: Infuriating.

But I thank OP for their efforts and helping us to realize who wer're trusting with our reefs/money.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna said they haven't had anyone else complain. I'm the first one and they said they sent out thousands.

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't aware there was an issue with a previous lot of reagents. Do you know the lot numbers of them or have a link to more info?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back