New Harliquin Shimp

  • Thread starter Thread starter AdamNC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Joined
Nov 29, 2014
Messages
4,118
Reaction score
3,191
Location
Winston Salem NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything else out of the ordinary I need to know about these guys? Trying to decimate my Asterna(sp?) Star population. I do know once the Stars are gone I'm going to have to get him live stars from the LFS if I want to keep him. And I really like to keep him as he's a late Anniversary present from my wife. Also are they best kept in pairs or can a single one be kept long term?

image.jpeg
 
Last edited:
In a 29g it wont take too long. I have one in my 200g and its been about a year. He eats astrina stars exclusively but in my tank the stars multiply faster than he eats them. I also have two frag tanks and a 55g sump that let the astrinas repopulate as well so maybe thats why. He does at least keep them in check though.

I keep chocolate chip stars in my sumps which also eat astrinas. Many people keep chocos on hand in their sump to cut a leg from here and there which was my original plan, but I never had to do it. I would keep 3 or 4 and keep rotating them if I ever have to go that route.
 
image.jpeg
Here is a pic of mine. Asterina stars and cut a chunk of chocolate chip star occasionally in my sump
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new