New here in Richmond, Va. New to R2R and the addictive world of Salt.

williemcd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently keeping about 700G of freshwater, raising Discus, and breeding various Angel Fish. I support my hobby with the sale of used equipment and Angel Fish youngsters.
I've been itching to give Salt a shot and stumbled upon a questionable foray into your world with a free 20G running set-up (3 years).

I took 4 5G pails plus a cooler and saved ALL of the existing water.. The tank had been neglected for the last month so there was only about 15G in the tank... along with some home-made structures made of shells and a 1-2" sand bed. So the tank was alive and well..supporting a clown and one other 1.5" unidentified fish. Upon getting it home, reloaded I tested the water with a cheap hydromiter.. And it was off the charts at greater than 1.028 (max reading on the cheap gauge). So over the course of about 5 days added RO water from my kitchen based, 4-stage RO dispenser.
Not wanting to invest too much at first, all I've added are 6 snails: 4 hermits, Nassarius and a turbo. Also with the tank, were two internal filters, (Looks sorta like Fluval II's... heater of course, and a std florescent fixture with a GE Fresh & Salt bulb.
I have a box of power-heads so will be swapping the filters out and counting, hopefully, on the sand and existing structure to maintain the bio-load.

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! It's awesome and people are so nice. Can't wait to see some pics.

OP
OP
W

williemcd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DLT.. yes, I also belong to RichmondReefers... In fact joined over 2 years ago I think but that was at the urging of my postal carrier when I had just bought 6 or 700 gallons of saltwater setups from a restaurant that had gone out of business and he suggested I join in order to sell off my inventory.
IA... the 700G or so consist of (2) 155's, a 120, a 75, a 33L and a number of 29's set up for breeding and rearing... plus a few 5G's set up for egg-hatching of Angels. So.. no 700G tank!...

OP
OP
W

williemcd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW.. that "inventory from the restaurant? 180G 1/2 Cylinder all glass tank with about a 40G sump by Amiriacle (sp)., 2 92G 1/4 cylinder all glass tanks, with appropriate sumps, MHO and VHO lighting, 155G with 33L long being used as a sump in a F/W tank. UV (3) sterilizers ? and a raft of other stuff... I dumbly sold off 90% of the inventory to support my F/W expansion and wish I could have 50% of it BACK!.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year and welcome to Reef2Reef!

If you haven't already done so you should enter in this months Membership Drive contest sponsored by The Alternative Reef! The winner will receive an awesome hand made pillar valued at $250, just post a friendly hello in this thread to enter: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/me...f2reef-membership-drive-give.html#post1172301

DSC_0003-21.jpg

DSC_0004-23.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back