New Kessil AP9X light and need help programming the settings. This is my first saltwater tank

Nemo0729

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just setup my first saltwater tank (90 gallon) and purchased a Kessil AP9X light. I am also a beginner to the tropical fish world. I have been trying to figure out the best schedule for my coral. I love the coral and want to get the best results. I have the following coral (listed below) Can anyone please help me figure out the best lighting intensity/schedule? Thank you!

Frogspawn
Duncan coral
Emerald green coral
Zoe coral
Tree coral

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep it about 5 to 7 inches above your tank also more blues/purple than anything else. For a schedule I usually have it come on when the sun rises and go off when the sun sets good luck

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 AP9x lights and really like them.

All I will tell you is that on a 90 gallon it will be really hard to go wrong with an AP9x. An 8-12 hour photo period set to whatever color you want at 75 to 100% power should be about perfect.

The key will be to set it and forget it and stop touching the light. The light is not a toy it is a lifesupport system.

What I do is add 4 points to my time schedule first one at noon with 1% intensity and 0 on all color channels. 1 point at 6pm with intensity at 100, olor at 50, violet at 100, green at 10, and red at 20. Then a point at 10pm exactly the same as point 2 and 1 point at mid night with all channels at 0.

OP
OP
N

Nemo0729

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 AP9x lights and really like them.

All I will tell you is that on a 90 gallon it will be really hard to go wrong with an AP9x. An 8-12 hour photo period set to whatever color you want at 75 to 100% power should be about perfect.

The key will be to set it and forget it and stop touching the light. The light is not a toy it is a lifesupport system.

What I do is add 4 points to my time schedule first one at noon with 1% intensity and 0 on all color channels. 1 point at 6pm with intensity at 100, olor at 50, violet at 100, green at 10, and red at 20. Then a point at 10pm exactly the same as point 2 and 1 point at mid night with all channels at 0.
Thank you. Do you think I need to add another light on the 90 gallon? Also just to confirm from 12 noon until 6pm you have it set to 1% intensity? And when you say 0 at all color channels are you referring to blue alone or red, green, and violet?

OP
OP
N

Nemo0729

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep it about 5 to 7 inches above your tank also more blues/purple than anything else. For a schedule I usually have it come on when the sun rises and go off when the sun sets good luck
Kessil suggesred the light be 16 inches off the tank. Is there a reason why it’s best to have the light at 5-7 inches above the tank?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Do you think I need to add another light on the 90 gallon? Also just to confirm from 12 noon until 6pm you have it set to 1% intensity? And when you say 0 at all color channels are you referring to blue alone or red, green, and violet?
When you set points in the kessil app the app automatically slowly transitions between them. So if your point at noon is 1% power and all colors off then your tank will start out a dim blue. Then the light will gradually add in the other colors and increase intensity until it reaches your next point in my case this is a brighter whiter setting at 6pm.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil suggesred the light be 16 inches off the tank. Is there a reason why it’s best to have the light at 5-7 inches above the tank?
Don't overthink mounting height. Put the light over the tank. Start with the light high up and slowly lower it until the light spillage is reasonable.

Light spillage is the amount of light shooting out side of the tank. If the light is too low the top corners of the tank won't be lit. If it is too high then alot of the light gets wasted. Don't overthink the mounting height just adjust the height until the entire tank is lit with minimal light spilling out.

OP
OP
N

Nemo0729

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't overthink mounting height. Put the light over the tank. Start with the light high up and slowly lower it until the light spillage is reasonable.

Light spillage is the amount of light shooting out side of the tank. If the light is too low the top corners of the tank won't be lit. If it is too high then alot of the light gets wasted. Don't overthink the mounting height just adjust the height until the entire tank is lit with minimal light spilling out.
Okay. Here is a pic of the tank. Now I see what you were saying about light spillage. I will lower it. Do you think 2 lights would help with the spillage instead of 1?

Attachments

• ED8028E1-1563-41D0-996F-0233BE541793.jpeg
    ED8028E1-1563-41D0-996F-0233BE541793.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 98

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Here is a pic of the tank. Now I see what you were saying about light spillage. I will lower it. Do you think 2 lights would help with the spillage instead of 1?
Technically Kessil says a AP9x can cover 48" but you would probably get alot better coverage and not have to mount them so high if you went with 2 a360xs

OP
OP
N

Nemo0729

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically Kessil says a AP9x can cover 48" but you would probably get alot better coverage and not have to mount them so high if you went with 2 a360x
Technically Kessil says a AP9x can cover 48" but you would probably get alot better coverage and not have to mount them so high if you went with 2 a360xs
Can I add those two lights to the AP9X setup or should I get rid of the AP9X and get the two a360xs?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen tanks your size that look beautiful with 1 AP9X. If it were my tank I would likely go with 2 AP9Xs and this would be an excellent solution for even the most demanding SPS corals. If all you want is a basic mixed reef this is a great solution and you can have awesome results without spending more money.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add those two lights to the AP9X setup or should I get rid of the AP9X and get the two a360xs?
If you want to keep the ap9x, doing it and 1 a360x add on in the future is feasible. With the ap9x covering 2/3 and the a360x covering 1/3. I think 2 ap9x or 1 ap9x and 2 a360x which is the same thing basically is probably overkill. :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back