New kessil light for Chaeto?

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was looking for a new light for my refugium, i've tried the kessil h80 and one of those par 38 bulbs from amazon and never had much luck with them. Chaeto always died off so i need to get a real light.

The space i have is about 8" wide, 18" deep and 9" tall. It's actually the last chamber in this sump.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_...gger_Systems_36_inch-MD81690-FIFRBSCU-vi.html

I immediately though the kessil h380 and was going to go with that, but then after some searching here and checking some reviews the newer-ish kessil h160 seemed to be pretty popular as well..

For the space i have would the h160 work pretty well since its not a huge area? or would i be better off going with the h380 instead.

I have an H380 for sale, if you need one... Brand new, aside from being taken out of the box (still have everything) and dry mounted for about thirty minutes of testing.

OP
OP
MikeyB

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any version of this light will do you fine, this is the one I used:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-15...Bulb-TPAR38-1803040FH25-12DE26-1-11/304150141

Have you tried a water change or anything? I'm wondering if there's some trace you're missing? I don't know if iron was talked about but iron is pretty huge, especially with green plants/macros. Kent's iron supplement works well.

I haven't seen the h80 in person, but I'd be surprised if kessil made *anything* that couldn't grow chaeto.

I just picked up that bulb but in 5000k so we'll see how it fairs for me. I actually covered my bases with trace as well picked up a bottle of this https://www.brightwellaquatics.com/products/chaeto-gro.php just to make sure i had all my bases covered.

I love kessil lights, but i wonder if im having the issue with my main lights just being a lot stronger then everything else so the h80 cant outcompete with it.

OP
OP
MikeyB

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an H380 for sale, if you need one... Brand new, aside from being taken out of the box (still have everything) and dry mounted for about thirty minutes of testing.
Thanks! i may take you up on that offer if its still for sale in a week or so, that par38 light was my next step and if this bulb doesnt work im going big guns (the h380)

sharky79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a clip on utility light with a daylight LED 65w 5000k light. Its placed 8in above the water line. I used to use flood.lights until.i discovered this cheap bulb. Works great on my cheato and any brand should work.as.long as its 5000k.

Jgro1413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! i may take you up on that offer if its still for sale in a week or so, that par38 light was my next step and if this bulb doesnt work im going big guns (the h380)
Just out of curiosity what ended up happening ? I know this is an older threads but it'd be cool to know how the par 32 bulb worked out

OP
OP
MikeyB

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity what ended up happening ? I know this is an older threads but it'd be cool to know how the par 32 bulb worked out
Hey hey! So i tried the par bulb, and algae kept dying off real quick as well. I think it may have been from nutrients being too high and the little bit of algae in the tank.. Right now im dosing vinegar pretty heavily to get my numbers back down to where i want them and then ill try chaeto again and hopefully have better luck

I can keep you guys updated once i make the switch back if people want

Jgro1413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hey! So i tried the par bulb, and algae kept dying off real quick as well. I think it may have been from nutrients being too high and the little bit of algae in the tank.. Right now im dosing vinegar pretty heavily to get my numbers back down to where i want them and then ill try chaeto again and hopefully have better luck

I can keep you guys updated once i make the switch back if people want
Thanks, I was just curious!

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back