New Kessil Lights this year?

bmbrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if Kessil will have a new light fixture out this year? It's been a while since InterZoo 2014 when the AP700 was unveiled. I'm wondering if the AP700 will be replaced with a newer model. It seems like most LED lighting tends to go in a 2~ year cycles in this hobby. 2+ years is a long time to not upgrade, even if they do make them in house. I've seen plenty of LED manufactures move on to more efficient LED's in less than 8 months. If anyone has some info about future Kessil products this year I'd love to hear about it.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing has been announced or even teased. The A80 just came out and they have already said that no AP700 replacement was in the works as of now. So no.

Afraid that buying a Kessil a new light will come out right after that? Kessil doesn't update their lights every year like Ecohtech, and IMO that's a good thing. Other than the app issues with the launch of the AP700 (which are no longer) Kessil's lights are perfect (lol) and remain viable for many many years.

OP
OP
bmbrad

bmbrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing has been announced or even teased. The A80 just came out and they have already said that no AP700 replacement was in the works as of now. So no.

Afraid that buying a Kessil a new light will come out right after that? Kessil doesn't update their lights every year like Ecohtech, and IMO that's a good thing. Other than the app issues with the launch of the AP700 (which are no longer) Kessil's lights are perfect (lol) and remain viable for many many years.

Buying the AP700 is on my list for lighting so I wanted to see if there was another one in the works. Thanks for the heads up.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the fact that the a360 has been out since early 2013 and still going strong, I feel pretty confident that the AP700 is still fairly early in its product life cycle. I hope I'm right! :D

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard from a strong source they are to come out with a new unit soon. No further details given. Who knows.

Kessil keeps stating AP700's two clusters are enough to cover a 36-48" tank successfuly, but if they went with a smaller module unit with the same two clusters, like radions, allowing for 2, 3 units in a 48" tank, they would give Ecotech a run for their money. The light they put out is beautiful.

Granted there are A360's but those are not AP700's.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone who seems to be "in the know" on the other big forum hinted at something new in the AP line, and then qualified it with "No, the AP700 is not going to be replaced." This person hinted at the a80 well before it was announced so my guess is that it's reliable information.

Last edited:

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone who seems to be "in the know" on the other big forum hinted at something new in the AP line, and then qualified it with "No, the AP700 is not going to be replaced." This person hinted at the a80 well before it was announced so my guess is that it's reliable information.
@GoVols just when I thought I was making progress, something new? A smaller unit on a 24" wide tank would be better.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols just when I thought I was making progress, something new? A smaller unit on a 24" wide tank would be better.
Kessil is a smart company and if they made smaller AP units... ;Woot ;Woot

OP
OP
bmbrad

bmbrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I may just have to wait to kick of my tank. I've got plenty of time and I'm in no rush. Thanks for all the info everyone. I really enjoy this community!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single unit that had the same features , LEDs/spectrum as the AP700.
(lol)
I'll take two 12" AP55o's or one 32" AP1400........."To Go" :D

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
If they made an "AP" that was about 12" long... ;Singing ;Singing ;Singing
Sounds to me like this guys knows alittle more on what kessil is going to be releasing. Come on just spill it. We need to know.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like this guys knows alittle more on what kessil is going to be releasing. Come on just spill it. We need to know.
(lol)
I know nothing... but one can wish. :)

Back