New light causing major issues (cyano)

saltyMJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I upgraded LED lights on my 30 gallon reef tank about a month ago and things have gone crazy. I followed the instructions and took about 1-2 weeks to slowly ramp up the lights to 40% blue and 10% white. Well out of nowhere there is a huge red cyano bloom and it's really damaging all my soft corals and lps. It's so bad I can't keep the corals cleaned off. My toadstool, GSP, and clove polyps won't even open up, theyve been closed for 2 or 3 days now. Been battling the cyano for 1-2 weeks. How long is this going to last? Are the lights the issue? I really don't want to add any chemicals or anything like that. Trying to wait it out but I'm afraid my corals aren't going to make it.

Tank is 13 months old
Ammonia- 0.25
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-15
Ph-8.2
Phosphate-0
KH-9
Calcium-400
Mag-1305

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure its cyano and not dinos? I ask because you said 0 phosphate. What test kit are you using for phosphate?

OP
OP
saltyMJ

saltyMJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure its cyano and not dinos? I ask because you said 0 phosphate. What test kit are you using for phosphate?
I guess I'm not sure. Just looked like cyano to me. It covers the sand and rocks and all corals, pretty much everything. I'm using the API master reef kit. I attached two pictures of the red algae

Attachments

• PXL_20230901_013521878.jpg
    PXL_20230901_013521878.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20230901_013401239.jpg
    PXL_20230901_013401239.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 65

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm not sure. Just looked like cyano to me. It covers the sand and rocks and all corals, pretty much everything. I'm using the API master reef kit. I attached two pictures of the red algae

You need a different phosphate test as that can't distinguish between 0 and 0.25, when the recommended values are around 0.03-0.1ppm. If it is red, its cyano, if it is brown, its probably dinos.

OP
OP
saltyMJ

saltyMJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a different phosphate test as that can't distinguish between 0 and 0.25, when the recommended values are around 0.03-0.1ppm. If it is red, its cyano, if it is brown, its probably dinos.
What phosphate test would you recommend? Could that be the main cause of the algae? I find it odd that I had no issues with this algae until I added the new light

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What phosphate test would you recommend? Could that be the main cause of the algae? I find it odd that I had no issues with this algae until I added the new light

Light should never be a limiting factor for algae in a reef tank. It should be competition and predation. I would just suggest another phosphate test as the API one is pretty much useless in a reef tank. Hanna ULR phosphate or phosphorus, or the salifert test would be the ones I'd recommend. It could also just be a temporary ugly from upgrading to a proper light.

OP
OP
saltyMJ

saltyMJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light should never be a limiting factor for algae in a reef tank. It should be competition and predation. I would just suggest another phosphate test as the API one is pretty much useless in a reef tank. Hanna ULR phosphate or phosphorus, or the salifert test would be the ones I'd recommend. It could also just be a temporary ugly from upgrading to a proper light.
Why do you think my GSP and toadstool aren't opening? This is the third day of them not opening up at all. Do you think it's the red algae or the light? Maybe I should dim the light as much as I can? I currently have it on 30% blue and 10% white.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ide start with a new set of test kit's.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back