New mantis shrimp tank(s)... Looking for startup advice

Pavonatech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me preface this by saying that I am a college student living in a dormitory with a 14 gallon nano already. I'm making some interesting life choices.
The plan is:
Make two mantis shrimp tanks. One roughly 10 gallons, and another 20-24. The smaller being for a purple spotted mantis, and the larger being for a peacock mantis. My trouble is selecting other items to place in the tanks for coloration.

The current thought process is to dub the 10 gallon tank the CQC tank. Fill it with some live rock, star polyps, xenias, and a few damsels to start. Any ******* fish get placed in this tank with the mantis. What I would like to know is how mantis shrimp interact with coral and anemones. Given that I am already making the time and food requirements necessary, I feel as though throwing a few extra morsels to a rock flower anemone or a mini carpet would not be too large a stretch.

I know its sort of a niche topic, not a ton of people seem to have or want these creatures, so I'm really looking for advice from anyone with experience.

As for the tank with a little more breathing room, any recommendations for organisms that won't be immediately eviscerated?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for the Mantis people. :)

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my first mantis shrimp tank. It is a little 6g, but my guy is a green mantis and very small. So far, I have kept the tank rather bland. It has live rock and 2 hermits and one snail. I am going on vacation a lot this summer and wanted to not worry about much in the tank, so no lights either. I hope to change that when I get back though and add some simple softies and such.

Here is a pic of tank. I added another rock since the pic and the other inverts. This was right after setting up and is still cloudy. Obviously shrimp was added a bit later. Not much help, but corals should not be an issue with these guys except them moving things around. :)
20180412_112010[1].jpg

He is already at home and eating the frozen (defrosted) shrimp I feed him. Even comes out to the tongs to grab it.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Load it up with zoas and macroalgae, both of which will benefit from the elevated nutrients when feeding meaty foods to your mantis.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back