New Marine Betta

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Got a new marine betta, he has been in my tank about two weeks. He has found his cave and comes out to swim a little more a day, but he never comes out during feeding time. I always squirt food in his cave but I cant see if he is eating it. Im feeding planktoon, mysis shrimp and algae soaked in garlic. Any suggestions? He doesnt look thin when he comes out of the cave but he is too shy and goes in his cave when I go to look at him so I cant get a good picture of him out and about to attach. This was him the first day in the tank. He wouldnt eat in the acclimation box so I released him, but like I said i cant verify if he is eating cause he doesnt come out during feeding time

404875E4-F786-4844-AC84-7732D7ACE48B.jpeg

Mav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a live ghost shrimp and watch him come to life…they can be difficult to get feeding in a new aquarium but live ghost shrimp usually at pet smart did the trick for me.
Video if it works

Attachments

• IMG_2817.mov
    45.6 MB
Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all. Got a new marine betta, he has been in my tank about two weeks. He has found his cave and comes out to swim a little more a day, but he never comes out during feeding time. I always squirt food in his cave but I cant see if he is eating it. Im feeding planktoon, mysis shrimp and algae soaked in garlic. Any suggestions? He doesnt look thin when he comes out of the cave but he is too shy and goes in his cave when I go to look at him so I cant get a good picture of him out and about to attach. This was him the first day in the tank. He wouldnt eat in the acclimation box so I released him, but like I said i cant verify if he is eating cause he doesnt come out during feeding time

Took mine two+ years to eat in front of me and its still shy after all this time.

1685315858081.png

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An okay, so you think he is probably eating the food I squirt in his cave? I just want to make sure he is eating. And Im hesitant to try the ghost shrimp cause I have a lionfish too thats small and shes eating frozen great! He was eating frozen at the store, I have a video of him doing it. The shop was feeding him krill, which both my LFS stores are out of. So I have the plankton and mysis shrimp

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are wonderful fish!!! When looking in his cave if he opens its mouth it should be bright white. This is how I knew ours were eating when we raised them.
Ah okay! Yes his is bright white. What color is it if he isnt eating?

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay! Yes his is bright white. What color is it if he isnt eating?
Oh I was just saying you’ll see the bright white when it eats. The ones we had at work would just sit in a jet black corner of the tank. Only way to know they ate was to see a few flashes of their bright white mouth every feeding.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Marine betas are groupers. Mine will come out during the feeding time but he won’t touch mysis or any floating food. He just knows I’m there when the smell of food is in the water. He knows when I grab my forceps he’s going to be fed. The way I feed him is getting a chunk of frozen diy food in forceps and put it in front of him, he will snatch it right out of the forceps. This is my favorite part of the fish feeding process TBH. I feel like him and yellow tang are the two fish that I actually interact with. I can post a video if you want to give you an idea of how to feed yours.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine betas are groupers. Mine will come out during the feeding time but he won’t touch mysis or any floating food. He just knows I’m there when the smell of food is in the water. He knows when I grab my forceps he’s going to be fed. The way I feed him is getting a chunk of frozen diy food in forceps and put it in front of him, he will snatch it right out of the forceps. This is my favorite part of the fish feeding process TBH. I feel like him and yellow tang are the two fish that I actually interact with. I can post a video if you want to give you an idea of how to feed yours.
Ive tried feeding him with the tongs but he sees me coming and darts to a different cave. But he is okay with the spot feeder for some reason, he just turns his bum to me and sticks his false eye spot out. So I squirt both mouths of the cave with food. How did you train yours with the food?

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tried feeding him with the tongs but he sees me coming and darts to a different cave. But he is okay with the spot feeder for some reason, he just turns his bum to me and sticks his false eye spot out. So I squirt both mouths of the cave with food. How did you train yours with the food?
It took me a few weeks after I adopted him, I would just very slowly move food in front of the cave and wait for him. At first it took upwards of 10 -15 minutes of me standing there, and slowly but surely he learned. Now he’s waiting for me.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a few weeks after I adopted him, I would just very slowly move food in front of the cave and wait for him. At first it took upwards of 10 -15 minutes of me standing there, and slowly but surely he learned. Now he’s waiting for me.
Ah okay. I will try. What all does yours eat? So I can try different foods. My trigger loves a chunky food and will eat it but my lion wont touch that food.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay. I will try. What all does yours eat? So I can try different foods. My trigger loves a chunky food and will eat it but my lion wont touch that food.
I usually go to local Korean market and buy assorted frozen seafood bags. I chop them up in tiny pieces and freeze them. I think it has squid, shrimp, octopus, oysters, clams etc. Then I break up the frozen mush into smaller pieces.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually go to local Korean market and buy assorted frozen seafood bags. I chop them up in tiny pieces and freeze them. I think it has squid, shrimp, octopus, oysters, clams etc. Then I break up the frozen mush into smaller pieces.
Ah okay cool! I will try to work with him on the tongs. He is just a beautiful fish! Does yours come out and swim?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back