New melanurus wrasse

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just picked up 3" male melanurus $10 on cl didn't get to take s pic before he went into tank. Of course he buried himself in sand when first gets in tank. He's in there with 2?green chromis in s 75 gallon. Not sure on any other fish right now trying to get my tank more corals. If anyone has any suggestions on future stock mates.? I read that a coris wrasse could be in tank as well.

DeepBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male melanurus wrassse in a 75 gallon with these tank mates:
Starry Blenny
Tomini Tang
Valentini Puffer
Talbot's Damsel

They all get along great. I haven't tried to put another wrasse in with him but I think it will be OK. If I were going to try it I'd probably do it fairly soon before he gets really settled into his new territory.

TRPlacek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a melanurus in both my tanks and they are both very peaceful with current tank mates including other wrasse and they have never messed with any new additions I have put in the tank. They are usually too busy hunting for food to bother with any other fish. the melanurus is definitely one of my favorite fish.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest to add multiple wrasses at same time. But not impossible to add more later. May want to use acclimation box if adding another Hallichoerus wrasse but other families will be fine. Pretty much any other fish will be fine with Melanurus.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watch your clean up crew... They will pick them off one by one
Rarely but surely could happen. People post that up sometimes. I've had several of these in multiple tanks and never had one pick on snails hermits or shrimp. I've had them over 5+ inches too.

Last edited:

rvlcf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanarus with a yellow coris and they get along swimmingly.
Also have a pair of clowns, powder blue tang,and a bangaii cardinal. No issues at all.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Melanurus is very peaceful with a goby and dartfish. Its on the top when it come to food. He gets his big fill first. Always very active, hunting, and good personality.

OP
OP
Dragonreef202

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3553.JPG
Here's my melanurus out just a few days buried since I brought him home. He has ate and out swimming with his 2 green chromis tank mates

OP
OP
Dragonreef202

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to clean off glass tops to put on tank so he can't escape by jumping now just waiting on 48" max spect 320w fixture. I can't wait first led fixture lets see how it goes

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish love ours. Tops a must have. I'd recommend flasher wrasse but I'm a wrasse guy lol. They're great community fish so as said already they're great with most others. Great score also.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Agree that the cover is necessary. I learned the hard way or should I say a very cool and valued fish paid the ultimate price !

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a blue star leopard and a Christmas wrasse in a 2 day period from jumping through a gap barely 2 inches

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that fish! Very active, swims all over the tank and is constantly picking at the rocks for pests. I have mine with a Filamented Flasher and Red Margin Wrasse, 2 T/P Clowns, Midas Blenny, and a Fire Fish. No agression from any of them with the exception of a little chase here and there between the Wrasses.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i think with inverts its hit or miss. mine is close to 5 inches and i have a coral banded and a fire shrimp and it doesnt even give them a second glance. mine is with a rhomboid, an exquisite a labouts and a pintail wrasse and he doesnt bother anyone .the point being wrasses are awesome..lol

OP
OP
Dragonreef202

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that fish! Very active, swims all over the tank and is constantly picking at the rocks for pests. I have mine with a Filamented Flasher and Red Margin Wrasse, 2 T/P Clowns, Midas Blenny, and a Fire Fish. No agression from any of them with the exception of a little chase here and there between the Wrasses.
Yes mine is swimming around and cleaning all of the sand . That's what I need happy tank cleaner

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back