New member/new to reefing!

codygarner08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Currently still researching what size of tank I would like to go with. I am leaning more towards a 10gallon nano tank.
I understand the smaller the tank the harder it is to keep the tank's parameters in check, but if I can keep a nano tank from crashing then I'm sure a larger tank will not be to much harder.

I have looked a marine depot and saw the deal they have for the 10 gallon innovative marine nano and the gadgets going for 275, I was planning on spending 600-700 max for my first tank.

I was hoping that I could get a few suggestions and opinions.
Thank you.
Cody

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming space and budget are a concern for you?
I would go to Bulk Reef Supply (BRS) over Marine Depot. The prices are basically the same but BRS has a very user friendly site and a great video support system (BRS TV). They even have a pretty good video on setting up a nano tank.

Check out the the IM NUVO 20g. Affordable, easy to set up, and provides quality room to set up a nano reef.

OP
OP
codygarner08

codygarner08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I'll check them out for sure! Currently in school so budget is a big factor. The space is not a big concern.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budget is a big deal and I understand that but just take this advice: Buy quality products first because you will end up spending more money replacing crappy products. heaters, thermometers, pumps, lights, etc. You can save $200+ today but if they fail and you end up replacing them in 6 months or you have a tank failure because you tried to save $50....it's not worth it. This isn't a poor man hobby. Also, patience and research are key.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

welcom.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Currently still researching what size of tank I would like to go with. I am leaning more towards a 10gallon nano tank.
I understand the smaller the tank the harder it is to keep the tank's parameters in check, but if I can keep a nano tank from crashing then I'm sure a larger tank will not be to much harder.

I have looked a marine depot and saw the deal they have for the 10 gallon innovative marine nano and the gadgets going for 275, I was planning on spending 600-700 max for my first tank.

I was hoping that I could get a few suggestions and opinions.
Thank you.
Cody
Welcome to R2R. Let me second the recommendation to check out Bulk Reef Supply. Online ordering is very easy and you can signup as a "Preferred Reefer" where you accumulate points towards discounts on future purchases. And as Snookin said, the video library is a fantastic source of information. Cheers!

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy second hand and go bigger but before you do that, find a guardian angel who has been in the hobby for a few years. That's what will save your butt.

Cmoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to this myself but I have found a lot of good deals on Craigslist. If you are patient you could find the perfect setup for your situation. Just be careful you are not buying junk/ infected systems.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 63 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.1%
Back