New Orphek Atlantik iCon LED Light

mattrez80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing but good things to say. I have had them running since last January (2022).

Excellent growth and no issues. It’s been set it and forget it for me.

I have 6 fixtures over my 300g. I do not run them over 80%. I run the Helius schedule with the exception of channel 1 being turned down to 32%. That is just my preference and what works for me.

mattrez80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing but good things to say. I have had them running since last January (2022).

I have 6 fixtures over my 300g. I do not run them over 80%. I run the Helius schedule with the exception of channel 1 being turned down to 32%. That is just my preference and what works for me.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 are doing fantastic I really like them
I'm considering buying an iCon, however, living in Brazil (like my colleague ricardofeitoza), I'm worried about the light's realiability.

Almost one year after it's release, how is it going for you guys? Any issues?My 2 are doing great

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering buying an iCon, however, living in Brazil (like my colleague ricardofeitoza), I'm worried about the light's realiability.

Almost one year after it's release, how is it going for you guys? Any issues?

I also have had them for over 2 years. I run the straight Helius program up to max of 80%. I have 2 on a 120g sps dominant tank with 2 OR3 light bars (Sky Blue and Blue plus). Great growth and color. I replaced my 2 10K 250W HQI MH + T5blue + set up and I have not been disappointed. Getting just as good of a result. I love these and they are much easier on my electric bill and heat. Have not had any issues. Rock solid - set and forget. I could not be any happier with them.

Greg

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Almost one year after it's release, how is it going for you guys? Any issues?
I think Ive had mine for about a year and a half now? Not sure...but its over a year. Anyways, I was just remarking to my wife yesterday that its such a solid piece of equipment and Im super happy with it. For me this is one of those 'no brainer' pieces. We've been talking about getting a much larger tank for a while now and we both agree that the Orphek Atlantik iCon would our first lighting choice for the larger tank.

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Too much par?? I have been running a Icon with a sky blue and a blue plus OR3 90's. I am getting over 500 par at 60% in the upper middle of my tank and 250 at the bottom. The lights are mounted 14" off the top of the water and 35" to the bottom of the tank.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much par?? I have been running a Icon with a sky blue and a blue plus OR3 90's. I am getting over 500 par at 60% in the upper middle of my tank and 250 at the bottom. The lights are mounted 14" off the top of the water and 35" to the bottom of the tank.
I need to check mine I really have no idea what my par is.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone say what is the power consumption when running the Icon on the original Helius program on 80% max?
The max power of the light is 235W, would that than result in 188W? Or are not all LED channels on the same power level?
Just to have an indication.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone say what is the power consumption when running the Icon on the original Helius program on 80% max?
The max power of the light is 235W, would that than result in 188W? Or are not all LED channels on the same power level?
Just to have an indication.
Individual channel power is determined by:
Sum of the V(f)'s x drive current.

"Global" dimming should roughly be as expected
.8 x max ect.
Fake example:
175w total 4 channel 100, 50,25
50% of 175 is 87.5
Or
50 + 25 + 12.5 = 87.5

Of course dimming just the 100 channel 50% would be
50 + 50 + 25 = 125
Dimming just the 25 channel 50% is
100 + 50 + 12.5 = 162.5

Some programs do the math for you since they should know both the driver current and string voltage.

Now that said, all wattages are not the same # of photons ( par) but that is another story.
Not all wavelengths are used equally either ( pur).

Just a refresher.
Watts are still a bit useable.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Individual channel power is determined by:
Sum of the V(f)'s x drive current.

"Global" dimming should roughly be as expected
.8 x max ect.
Fake example:
175w total 4 channel 100, 50,25
50% of 175 is 87.5
Or
50 + 25 + 12.5 = 87.5

Of course dimming just the 100 channel 50% would be
50 + 50 + 25 = 125
Dimming just the 25 channel 50% is
100 + 50 + 12.5 = 162.5

Some programs do the math for you since they should know both the driver current and string voltage.

Now that said, all wattages are not the same # of photons ( par) but that is another story.
Not all wavelengths are used equally either ( pur).

Just a refresher.
Watts are still a bit useable.
This is actually a very good explanation and refresher of my early days electrics course.
I am trying to figure out which lights to get for my tank and want to guess the yearly energy bill. In our region this takes a lot out of the budget and has to be taken in account.
Thanks!

Bogdan21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a 40gal AIO cube thats just under 2x2 and I'm really thinking about getting the icon compact. I have a mixed reef and currently running a hydra 32 on it.

My concern is, from what i am hearing from others, that the color pop is not there with the orpheks and the fluorescents are not great.
Is this true with the icons or was this and issue with the older version, lacking color pop?
Thanks in advance.
Attached is my tank now

Attachments

• 20240108_190612.jpg
    20240108_190612.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 38

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Icons have plenty of color pop........to claim otherwise is nonsense. You can set them however you please to get the pop you want.

This just one of many examples---

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Brads tank is nuts. Even more so in person and I’m lucky to be local to him. He has shared his light program as well.

corey

Bogdan21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icons have plenty of color pop........to claim otherwise is nonsense. You can set them however you please to get the pop you want.

This just one of many examples---

Thank you

Bogdan21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received mine and installed it at 14" above water and i am getting a green spot light twards the back of the tank. Any ideas why?
I have the icon compact

Attachments

• 20240201_212252.jpg
    20240201_212252.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240201_221939.jpg
    20240201_221939.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240201_221957.jpg
    20240201_221957.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 29

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean by green spot light, but you should have gotten one full size Icon. for a 2x2 area.

Most reviews had two full size Orpheks for a 24x48 footprint. They are perfect for that.

My friend bought two Icons for his 24x48x16 tank and I've seen the Icons over a similar sized tank and they looked really good.

Also take note of Greg's tank. 24x48x24 two Icons and two Orphek bars...........post 304

You can try to raise the fixture a bit as they recommend 15-18"

Coverage is the most important aspect of any type of lighting. A lot of people skimp on the number/size of the units they buy regardless of brand and then later regret it as they have to add more lights.

I'm speaking about dominant Sps systems............it's a different story on a mostly mixed reef.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean by green spot light, but you should have gotten one full size Icon. for a 2x2 area.

Most reviews had two full size Orpheks for a 24x48 footprint. They are perfect for that.

My friend bought two Icons for his 24x48x16 tank and I've seen the Icons over a similar sized tank and they looked really good.

Also take note of Greg's tank. 24x48x24 two Icons and two Orphek bars...........post 304

Coverage is the most important aspect of any type of lighting. A lot of people skimp on the number/size of the units they buy regardless of brand and then later regret it as they have to add more lights.

I'm speaking about dominant Sps systems............it's a different story on a mostly mixed reef.
Alternately, you could add a couple of the 24 inch bars on either side of the compact. There are several color spectrums to choose from. I have 1 Blue (+) and 1 Sky Blue (48 inch) paired with my two full iCons and the overall spectrum is very similar to my 10K MH, maybe slightly bluer. You can always play with the different channels on the compact to get the desired look.

Greg

Bogdan21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Orphek recommend the compact one for my tank size. I had the light at 15 inches and it was the same. I tried lifting it with my hands and looked down, same thing. I contacted Orphek and they said to tilt the light, i mean for such "high quality/expensive" lights i dont thi k i should tilt it to get a better color blend! What if i had a fixed mount?
Regardless, I tried that as well and the spot light is still there, its weird that it is only in the back area and one spot. Not all the cyan leds cause that. Not sure what it could be.
I also noticed these swirls/smudges in between the diffuser and cannot be cleaned. I wonder if that causes a weird reflection.

Attachments

• 20240203_105614.jpg
    20240203_105614.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240203_105450.jpg
    20240203_105450.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 21

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek recommend the compact one for my tank size. I had the light at 15 inches and it was the same. I tried lifting it with my hands and looked down, same thing. I contacted Orphek and they said to tilt the light, i mean for such "high quality/expensive" lights i dont thi k i should tilt it to get a better color blend! What if i had a fixed mount?
Regardless, I tried that as well and the spot light is still there, its weird that it is only in the back area and one spot. Not all the cyan leds cause that. Not sure what it could be.
I also noticed these swirls/smudges in between the diffuser and cannot be cleaned. I wonder if that causes a weird reflection.
did you try just turning on one channel at a time (turn all the others down) and isolate which channel/LED is causing the problem? Maybe something is out of alignment? I have very uniform spread of my channels but I am using the full size iCons. Just a guess. I agree, when you spend this kind of money, it should be perfect. I have found Orphek customer support to be very responsive.

Bogdan21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you try just turning on one channel at a time (turn all the others down) and isolate which channel/LED is causing the problem? Maybe something is out of alignment? I have very uniform spread of my channels but I am using the full size iCons. Just a guess. I agree, when you spend this kind of money, it should be perfect. I have found Orphek customer support to be very responsive.
Its channel 3 causing it. The cyan led, as they call it. I am trying to work with them. Maybe i can swap with the full size one...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back