Orphek ICON. Worth the upgrade?

bullseyereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, im debating upgrading my orphek atlantik v4 to the new ICON model. Is it really worth the upgrade? Ive had my fair share of issues with my Orpheks. Or Would you just get a different brand light?

How does everyone with ICONs like them?
I do like the Orpheks but they seem to not be very unreliable. Are the ICONs any better?

Thanks.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1708620451482.png

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orphek bar as supplemental coverage to my kessils, but I personally wouldn't want them standalone due to the seemingly flimsy control system. In fact, I have mine on a simple dimmer outlet/timer.

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, im debating upgrading my orphek atlantik v4 to the new ICON model. Is it really worth the upgrade? Ive had my fair share of issues with my Orpheks. Or Would you just get a different brand light?

I do like the Orpheks but they seem to not be very unreliable. Are the ICONs any better?

Thanks.
I have the Atlantik icon on my newest tank. Tank has only been up a few months so I can’t speak for long term quality, but I have not experienced any issues yet. Overall good experience so far.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone I know that has upgraded to Icon or bought the Icon outright has said it was worth the upgrade. I’m honestly not sure why I haven’t upgraded mine yet. More par, better spectrum, better controllability are some of the pros I’ve heard.

Corey

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone know how to turn the Orphek on manually overnight?

I have to pack some corals for a swap before lights come on and realized I don't know how to turn the light on off schedule

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to turn the Orphek on manually overnight?

I have to pack some corals for a swap before lights come on and realized I don't know how to turn the light on off schedule
In the app, on the screen that shows your program, there is a button that says "Quick". You can select that and manually turn on channels on. I believe they stay on for one hour using that setting.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never used the old versions, but I really like my Icons. Bought one new and one non-working v1 or v2 and did the full upgrade. Been running them for a little over a year now with no issues. Setup was easy and the app is pretty intuitive.
They sure are a powerful light. Over 500 PAR in my 4' tank with the light at 50%

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the app, on the screen that shows your program, there is a button that says "Quick". You can select that and manually turn on channels on. I believe they stay on for one hour using that setting.

Yes, I found in the manual it will stay on for a few hours.

I also made a new program that will start at 5am and off at 9am so I should be good to go. I'll plug in Helius when I get home.

Memoreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from using 7 orphek atlantik v4 to 7 Icons. To me, the biggest thing was quality. My led will constantly burn our on the atlantik. If money isn't the issue, go for ICONS. However, if you do not have much issues on your current atlantik v4, you can save the money and use it elsewhere needed. Spectrum wise, it's still quite similar. More white than other lights I've seen, which i prefer. The par is greater but again, comes down to affordability. If you are looking to purchase multiple units, let's have a chat. I can help you get some discounts.

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running a single icon on a 48” tank for the last 8 months or so. 18” above mixed reef minimal spillage. Getting good par and sps/lps growth throughout at 60%. Very customizable spectrum and timing, relatively easy app to use, great reliability so far. I keep thinking about supplementing with bars, but plan to grow acros only right under the light where I am getting good par for that anyhow.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These do need to be mounted high. Mine are 15" above the water and I wish I had gone higher. More than enough par output, and the higher you go, the more things will blend.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the ICON on my tank for several weeks so far besides the mount (or lack of a good mount for braced tank w/ overflow) I like the light so far have it on 40% looks really nice.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have the icon (new purchase though) and am pulling some really good colors. Not familiar with the older versions, but this thing has some serious punch on my 24” deep tank. I have it running around 50-60% max right now as I started to bleach a frogspawn that’s on the sand.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just received my first Atlantik icon on Saturday, that thing is built like a tank!
can't wait to install it. ive been looking at them for a while and got a deal I couldn't pass up.

OP
OP
bullseyereef

bullseyereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from using 7 orphek atlantik v4 to 7 Icons. To me, the biggest thing was quality. My led will constantly burn our on the atlantik. If money isn't the issue, go for ICONS. However, if you do not have much issues on your current atlantik v4, you can save the money and use it elsewhere needed. Spectrum wise, it's still quite similar. More white than other lights I've seen, which i prefer. The par is greater but again, comes down to affordability. If you are looking to purchase multiple units, let's have a chat. I can help you get some discounts.
ill shoot you a DM

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks.
The Icons are very reliable and the app is very user friendly. We have made improvements and are now using a thicker heat sink and improved LEDs. A short video of my tank using the Icon with the installed Helium program.

Attachments

• My tank with Icon.MOV
    9.5 MB
OP
OP
bullseyereef

bullseyereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Icons are very reliable and the app is very user friendly. We have made improvements and are now using a thicker heat sink and improved LEDs. A short video of my tank using the Icon with the installed Helium program.
With how horrible the customer service, along with endless issues ive had i just decided to go with Radions.

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With how horrible the customer service, along with endless issues ive had i just decided to go with Radions.
A friend of mine bought two G6 Radions and they do not ionclude a manual, just a basic quick start. You are basically on your own. I don't know how many times he emailed Ecotech to get questions answered. Not saying the light isn't good, he just wished they came with a manual rather than email or search You Tube for answers.

OP
OP
bullseyereef

bullseyereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine bought two G6 Radions and they do not ionclude a manual, just a basic quick start. You are basically on your own. I don't know how many times he emailed Ecotech to get questions answered. Not saying the light isn't good, he just wished they came with a manual rather than email or search You Tube for answers.
I emailed orphek 6 times and it took them 4 weeks to reply.. i can deal with figuring out the light without a OM

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back