New Ph Probe, Question

ilikebeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I just got my new Milwaukee SE220 pH probe.
Question:
Do I still need to calibrate it(I have all 3 calibration solutions) or can I just go ahead and use it since
it is brand new. I will be using it with a Milwaukee Instruments MC125 pH/ORP Controller Combo.

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, a new pH probe is not calibrated just because it is new.

FWIW, calibration adjusts the meter, not the probe. The meter still remembers whatever was last calibrated on it (unless somehow the electronics were zeroed and reset between uses). Thus, new perfect probes are often inherently out of calibration on a meter that was calibrated with a different probe.

Even one piece units (probe and meter) should not be assumed to be accurately calibrated since manufacturing doesn't include calibration.

OP
OP
ilikebeef

ilikebeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I calibrate the meter was what I actually ment to say, but writing English and speaking it are two different things.
Writing a couple lines here in the forum takes me forever, have too google the words sometimes but you sit down with me and drink a six pack warsteiner with me and I talk your ear off.
But thank you for your response, I calibrated the ph meter this morning
With solution 7 and 10 that were in the tank for an hour at 76 degrees. Tank water has a ph of 8 no skimmer, I think that’s ok.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I calibrate the meter was what I actually ment to say, but writing English and speaking it are two different things.
Writing a couple lines here in the forum takes me forever, have too google the words sometimes but you sit down with me and drink a six pack warsteiner with me and I talk your ear off.
But thank you for your response, I calibrated the ph meter this morning
With solution 7 and 10 that were in the tank for an hour at 76 degrees. Tank water has a ph of 8 no skimmer, I think that’s ok.

No problem. I just wanted everyone to understand the process. :)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 46.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back