New pico tank with Carib Sea live sand and Nutri-SeaWater, need same time of cycling?

maceto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I just started a new pico tank 4G and I did use Carib Sea live sand and Nutri-SeaWater, and I'm waiting for more dry rocks to add.

1) How long should take cycling? Same time like any other setup or because live sand and Nutri-SeaWater should be less time?

2) The skimmer is needed on the cycling time? or just start using the skimmer when start adding corals into the tank?

Thank you all for the patient with this Newbie

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet there will be a cycle of some sort. Hard to say exactly how long as all tanks are slightly different.
Get a decent test kit (NOT API) and monitor the situation as you go. The worst thing that will happen is that you will learn good protocols for keeping a tank and definitely be more in tune with your tank. Go slow. There is a very old adage in this hobby.
"Nothing good happens fast"

OP
OP
maceto

maceto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet there will be a cycle of some sort. Hard to say exactly how long as all tanks are slightly different.
Get a decent test kit (NOT API) and monitor the situation as you go. The worst thing that will happen is that you will learn good protocols for keeping a tank and definitely be more in tune with your tank. Go slow. There is a very old adage in this hobby.
"Nothing good happens fast"

Thank you, Ben, for your reply!

In your opinion, which is a decent test kit?

Thanks
Martin

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are dealing with a mix of live and nonlive surfaces. If you wait using only time and submersion, the living materials for ammonia control take over the inert surfaces through the water in under a month, about twenty days. You don’t have to measure a cycle in this case, it’s reliable among tanks given that much time if avail to simply wait. It’s already been measured among tanks using blended cycles. Your wet pack live sand is the inoculant

to speed up add any of the common bottle bac mixes, some feed, wait three days and youre cycled since the bottle transmits to the inert surfaces faster than waiting.

its interesting nowadays using updated cycling rules we already know the timeframes before completion..whether or not you test. Cycling charts use the known timeframe # days underwater, solving for time on the left references to a given param on the bottom, reliably.

its how they start marine aquarium conventions on time, using forms of skip cycle approach which is really just making up for the usual 20 day wait using one or more cheats. It’s so reliable nowadays whole conventions manage to pull off complete instant reef all by an exact start date.

OP
OP
maceto

maceto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are dealing with a mix of live and nonlive surfaces. If you wait using only time and submersion, the living materials for ammonia control take over the inert surfaces through the water in under a month, about twenty days. You don’t have to measure a cycle in this case, it’s reliable among tanks given that much time if avail to simply wait. It’s already been measured among tanks using blended cycles. Your wet pack live sand is the inoculant

to speed up add any of the common bottle bac mixes, some feed, wait three days and youre cycled since the bottle transmits to the inert surfaces faster than waiting.

its interesting nowadays using updated cycling rules we already know the timeframes before completion..whether or not you test. Cycling charts use the known timeframe # days underwater, solving for time on the left references to a given param on the bottom, reliably.

its how they start marine aquarium conventions on time, using forms of skip cycle approach which is really just making up for the usual 20 day wait using one or more cheats. It’s so reliable nowadays whole conventions manage to pull off complete instant reef all by an exact start date.

Thank you for the explanation.

What about the skimmer I should start using now or when add corals?

Thanks again.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer won’t harm at all, it’s oxygenating and the bacteria in play are aerobes. Any dosed bac that might be removed in skimming will be offset by those already contacting critical surfaces / can do

Last edited:
OP
OP
maceto

maceto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, day 6 I got my lights Kessil A80

729EB2ED-5FD0-400D-BA41-2007F0AA66FE.png
5A76956B-0CC4-4194-9E08-C1E855BF6135.png

I love it! :D

Any tip about this light? I should use the preset program?

Thanks all

Mgex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
And started working on the hardscape.

IMG_7523.png

IMG_7524.png

What do you think guys? Am I using all the spaces well?

Thanks all
M.
I Like it now with a tank this small though i would reccomend getting an ato if you do not have one i dont know if you do i jsut didnt see one but anyways the evaporation will be crazy on tank this small and salinity swings are a big problem when your talking a tank this size

OP
OP
maceto

maceto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I Like it now with a tank this small though i would reccomend getting an ato if you do not have one i dont know if you do i jsut didnt see one but anyways the evaporation will be crazy on tank this small and salinity swings are a big problem when your talking a tank this size

Hi @Mgex ! Yes, I'm waiting for the ATO to arrive. The tank is new only a week old, I have a couple of weeks at least before start putting corals.

Thank you.
M.

Mgex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Mgex ! Yes, I'm waiting for the ATO to arrive. The tank is new only a week old, I have a couple of weeks at least before start putting corals.

Thank you.
M.
Good deal i made the mistake of not getting an ato at first and it was almost really bad i just didnt want anyone else to make the same mistake

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back