New plastic bucket smell?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Orm Embar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Orm Embar

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2017
Messages
468
Reaction score
302
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some food safe buckets from Home Depot, but when I checked them out they have a plastic smell to them. I soaked the interior in vinegar for 15 minutes and wiped everything away, but the smell remains (not dramatic, but definitely there). Is this something to worry about, or is it not an issue (I will be storing saltwater in the bucket for a while)? It's been a while since I bought new buckets, so I don't remember what I did in the past (dish soap with no additives and tons of rinsing, vinegar, or other).

It's currently with 4 gallons of RO/DI water in it.

Thanks in advance?
 
I bought some food safe buckets from Home Depot, but when I checked them out they have a plastic smell to them. I soaked the interior in vinegar for 15 minutes and wiped everything away, but the smell remains (not dramatic, but definitely there). Is this something to worry about, or is it not an issue (I will be storing saltwater in the bucket for a while)? It's been a while since I bought new buckets, so I don't remember what I did in the past (dish soap with no additives and tons of rinsing, vinegar, or other).

It's currently with 4 gallons of RO/DI water in it.

Thanks in advance?
Very common. I now enter a bleach solution and cold water rinse before use
Rinse until you can no longer smell the bleach
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new