New porcupine puffer concerns

Shamusseven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all. Looking to get some advice. I got a new young puffer. For one I have tried several different food and all he seems to go after are peas. No interest with any foods. Cut up raw shrimp. Whole shrimp. Shrimp soaked in garlic extreme. Mussels, squid, octopus, my sis shrimp, brine shrim or freeze dried krill soaked in garlic extreme. His strength is slowing.
One concern is disease. He has a few white strands that are on his skin. They look simetrica meaning same on both sides of his body so thought they were normal. But they do not lay down like his other spikes. Is that normal? There are 2 side by side in the back 1/3rd of his back. And 1 just above each eye. Any concerns of ick. Pics attached.

339C30A2-92D3-4E8F-9126-F5255E61B4C7.jpeg

664767F3-AD1D-4D64-A762-27A6A6F05CFF.jpeg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he looks ok & the spikes are natural. So only peas? like green peas? How long have ya had this cool fish ? I d think they weren't into veggies.
Also the tank looks pretty young. Sure there is no ammonia or such?

OP
OP
S

Shamusseven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Looked on line and called the place I purchased it and they will eat peas and broccoli. Sunrise to me as well. It is young tank. 3 months old and will be a predator tank. The upuffer and young trigger are the only occupants. Trigger is doing wonderful. Ammonia is zero other parameters are good as well. But I have done 2 small water changes 3 days apart. This is just day seven he has been in the tank. He actually seems more active so far today. But still only interested in peas.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might try getting creative ... slip some peas into a shrimp or krill. Wrap in nori, with a bit of Rod's Food or LRS. Try some live brine or live blackworms, and see if the movement doesn't flip his switch.

~Bruce

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try live clams, you can pick them up at the grocery store . I had one for 5 years and he tore those things to bits. It also helps keep their teeth ground down from hitting through the shell.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They tend to MOPE the first few days. Try live brine to perk it up as well as small pieces of krill or Mysis. DO NOT over-attempt or feed as it will affect your water quality

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try live ghost shrimp. Gut pack them with some pellets or flake food to give the puffer some nutrients.

Frozen peas are good for puffers that have lock jaw.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the water parameters? What is tank size?

Many times skipping a couple of days and trying again will help.

Eating peas isn"t a problem either, so if that is what he eats then that's fine too.

OP
OP
S

Shamusseven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did not make it. I was very mindful to not over attempt. Tank was 180gal. Parameters were good through. 8.2 ph. 1.024. No ammonia nitrates or nitrites. It was a 3 month old tank but him a tiny huma huma trigger were the first fish. Had 2 urchins in before. So it was a “new” tank but fully cycled. All other tank mates are still doing good. Tuesday he did not seem interested in even the peas from mid day on and found lifeless the next morning. Everyone I spoke with had been perplexed about me vegetarian puffer. Just odd that he was afraid of any food moving his direction do to current unless it was a small green ball. I even stuffed some brine and mysis into a pea. He spit them out and ate the pea. I can say I tried.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where there any other tankmates besides the trigger and urchins?

If your tank is cycled you should at minimum have nitrates.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss, and this^^

OP
OP
S

Shamusseven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those were the only tank mates. 2 fish and 2 urchins. I have used both API and Red Sea test but nitrate are undetectable for both. I run an ATS that helps. Phosphates are not detectable either.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back