New predator setup

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to set up and old 55 gallon predator tank to move my painted angler to (he’s started trying to eat any new that comes into my reef tank).

Definitely wanting to do FOWLR.

Buuuut....was also thinking about doing bare bottom as well. Reason being:

1. I hear they’re easier to maintain
2. I’m not looking to dump (as) much money into this system
3. I’ve been looking at pictures of BB tanks and they’re just starting to grow on me

So just wanted to see everyone’s views on this. Is it not a good idea because of the predator bioload? No so the angler has something to hold onto while walking? Would cycling take longer? Not as long?

Any info would be helpful. TIA

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen painted angler poo, it's like dog poo, I would just scoop it up. When he gets larger you'll see. I think it's a visual thing, I prefer substrate, the cycling is in your rock or bio media so it will not take longer either way. You can always add later, that's what I did with a warty tank, I tried bb, didn't like it, although my 210 is bb.

OP
OP
Brittany Marie

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen painted angler poo, it's like dog poo, I would just scoop it up. When he gets larger you'll see. I think it's a visual thing, I prefer substrate, the cycling is in your rock or bio media so it will not take longer either way. You can always add later, that's what I did with a warty tank, I tried bb, didn't like it, although my 210 is bb.

I’m also trying not to dump so much money into this set up...he has to be moved. My blue tang was head first in his mouth :( luckily I was cleaning so I was right there. I’d love to get more predators down the road, just trying to budget this one for now. My reef has about 6k, and it’s 8 months in.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new predator tank, it's temporary but it's just like I'm going to do for their permanent tank. It's for 2 dwarf lions, a fu and a blackfoot. Their needs are similar to your angler. He needs a cave and some rocks to perch. Doesn't need much flow or particular about lighting. I put some sand in because the blackfoot is mainly a sand dweller, and I like the way it looks. After he's settled in and if you want to dump some money into it, adding some lps, softies, or macros would be a nice touch for an angler tank.

010.jpg

IMG_20140804_210420.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back