new pump or new skimmer?

hambandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i own an asm g3 that ive put a couple pumps on over the years. its been sitting for about 5 years and i dont trust the current pump, plus i really like the idea of all dc equipment in my new build. do i 1) replace the pump with a dc pump or 2) replace the entire skimmer with one that utilizes a dc pump? in terms of function outside of the pumps being junk i never had any real issues with it, it skims like a champ and isnt sensitive to water level. its been gate valved and mesh modded and all the other fun stuff we used to do back in the day to make them more awesome. other benefits to total replacement are this thing is HUGE, and it appears that skimmer tech has improved significantly over the years - i really like the smaller footprint that some of the other options provide. any thoughts are appreciated.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really personal preference, my pump or impeller failed in my NYOS Quantum 160 and I did actually buy a spare pump, but then changed my mind and got a complete replacement skimmer albeit the same one

Also things advance with the hobby as years go by, like you say smaller foot print etc

But if you like it, and it’s an easy and much cheaper fix go for it

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back