New Quarantine build while Quarantined.

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be the Cabin Fever talking but I've been thinking of building another tank. I have a 22 gal long rimless tank laying around the garage and figured why not build a new Quarantine/Grow-out system. It's already too late to turn back now. I have 4 Amazon and 3 BRS orders being processed as we speak. I'll keep the thread updated as long as I can, I am fortunately/unfortunately one of the "essential workers" so I still have to work in between playing. Pics to follow!

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 Gal long for the sump. I designed the center section for Chaeto (I know there is a great debate as to tumble or not to tumble but I'm gonna send it a tumbling) My initial leak check had a nice light roll to the water and plenty of hang time in both the equipment section and the refugium sections.
1586729095955.png

Drilled for a Synergy Shadow Overflow (V1) which will be WAAAAAAAY too much but why not!?
1586729358686.png

Got the back blacked out with vinyl and got the Overflow box installed. I'm planning on dual Syncra Silent 2.0 for returns. I'm running the larger versions on my Main Tank and like them a lot. They were actually pretty cheap on Amazon and ended up getting both for under $150 out the door. Between the two I should have plenty of turnover for just about anything I want to put in.
1586729508365.png

I'm going to start sketching out some thoughts on a stand tonight.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone think ~700 (ish) GPH combined between the two pumps taking 4 ft head pressure into account in a 22 gal will be enough to not have additional powerheads?

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my BRS order showed up yesterday. Got my rough plans for the stand on paper so it looks like I'll be busy for the next couple weekends.
1587144256945.png

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the frame work done. The finished product will have panels covering all of the screws. I will house all the controller stuff in the center section that will be sealed off from the rest in the end so there is no chance of moisture damage. Please excuse my seriously dirty garage......the projects are never ending. For every tank build I finish, the wife gets a remodel project done.

1587348052628.png

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone think ~700 (ish) GPH combined between the two pumps taking 4 ft head pressure into account in a 22 gal will be enough to not have additional powerheads?
Does the four foot head include fittings? the 2.0 that i have in a 30 gal bowfront with a 4' head is pretty strong but the tank is tall so i am using power heads to mix the lower water. two 2.0's in a shallow tank should be plenty. in my opinion. good fun is better than good luck, so I wish you Good Fun!

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some work done on the plumbing this weekend. It's been a little while, had to take a break to finish up some things on our kitchen remodel. (I learned that if I keep my wife happy she doesn't mind my obsession "as much")
1590381459711.png

Needed crown moldings and some grout work then all the doors put back on.

1590381708970.png

Now for the good stuff. Dry set-up and Plumbing Fun

02587423-617E-4584-AD62-A400E2DF3A69.jpeg

AAAAAAAAAND of course I am one elbow short and everything g is closed so I'll go on the hunt tomorrow so I can finish up the second return and test run with some water.

8501FD12-E22E-401E-9314-355A800CFF9A.jpeg

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some water in it yesterday. I still have some details to finish up (wiring, equip, etc) but I'm pretty happy with it overall. Next will be the outside panels which I'm still deciding whether I should go with a nice paint or gray / dark gray stain.

The video seems louder than the tank actually is. There is a bit-o-sloshing from the overflow but it's not bad and it's in my garage / fish-room anyway. If I didn't have the wave going it's near silent.

Back