New Red Sea 525XL on Second Floor

RollTideReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it had been almost seven years and I am ready to get back into the Reef Aquarium world with a new tank. I have a lot more money to play with this time around so I visited a very reputable local company called Aquarium Design Group here in Houston. I think I have decided on installing a Red Sea Reefer 525 XL in my living room on the second floor. It is a 108 gallon tank (139 with sump) and is 5' x 22.5". I imagine the tank will weigh about 1650 lbs fully loaded. My home is only three years old and the location I chose is in my living room flush against an exterior load bearing wall where the floor joists run perpendicular to the tank in 16" intervals. The joist are TJI and I was able to get the joist plans of my home. I contacted the engineering group who did the plans for my home and they are evaluation whether I will need to reinforce the floor. It was only $150 for the analysis so I should have that back this week but we all know engineers err on the super safe side. But the aquarium service I am talking to said I should be perfectly fine given they have done much bigger tanks in older homes without any issue. Any thoughts from the community? Also the service had very competitive pricing on all of the equipment they will be putting in below. They are charging $700 for delivery, set up, water, salt, etc on my second floor. Is that a fair price?

Tank: Red Sea Reefer 525XL Deluxe
Lighting: 3 of the Red Sea LED Light kits
Pump: Eco-Tech Vectra S2DC
Skimmer: Red Sea 900 Internal Skimmer
Wave Pump: Aquatic Illumination Nero
Real Reef Rock - 120lbs @ $6.00lb ($720)
Water Start System: $180
Deliver & Install: $700

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean most modern homes should be able to support that by squarefoot easily, you could prob just ask your builder what is the best place, i have a 1000lb tank 3 floors up in my room

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g top and bottom eurobraced tank with an oak stand and canopy. I estimate this tank with water, sand, rock and 30g sump to be around 2k lbs.
I have it against an exterior wall and also perpendicular to the floor joist but I if I remember correctly when I checked the floor prior to tank placement, my house had floor joist that were 12" apart so that gave me a lot more confidence without floor reinforcement. It's solid enough for me but I think it's the most I would do without reinforcement. If I had to do it again, I'd say 150g would be super safe. Tank has been running for 13 years and the floor is still there Lol!

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't answer whether the $700 is fair or not.
Around here, LFS charge $85 an hour not including delivery of a tank system.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! I am setting up a RS 650P on the new house we had to replace all the floors actually it was a complete gut job I did add some floor support just to be on the safe said as before we started the project there was a 4" defference in the floor.

I think $700 is on the high side that said i asked a moving company to move the 750 I had it was gonna be 1.5k-2K but I live in a stupid expensive resort town.
525 are not that heavy ( compared to there big brothers ) I bet if you ask around you could find some guys to move it in for you for a few hundred. you would have to set it up your self tho.
but if you want a 100% hands off experience a guess 700 not to bad. but I would rather take that 700 and buy the next size up :)
good luck and welcome back!!

OP
OP
R

RollTideReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! I am setting up a RS 650P on the new house we had to replace all the floors actually it was a complete gut job I did add some floor support just to be on the safe said as before we started the project there was a 4" defference in the floor.

I think $700 is on the high side that said i asked a moving company to move the 750 I had it was gonna be 1.5k-2K but I live in a stupid expensive resort town.
525 are not that heavy ( compared to there big brothers ) I bet if you ask around you could find some guys to move it in for you for a few hundred. you would have to set it up your self tho.
but if you want a 100% hands off experience a guess 700 not to bad. but I would rather take that 700 and buy the next size up :)
good luck and welcome back!!
What kind of floor support did you add if you do not mind me asking?

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im also not an engineer but if it was my home I would always be nervous about it. that's just me. A lot will depend on what the engineer/builder says. I just built a new construction house and I don't think I would put something that heavy on a small sq ft of space up there without a pros input or reinforcing. Let me say this, if you are able to reinforce it do it, you will sleep better. Is 1st floor even an option?

OP
OP
R

RollTideReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im also not an engineer but if it was my home I would always be nervous about it. that's just me. A lot will depend on what the engineer/builder says. I just built a new construction house and I don't think I would put something that heavy on a small sq ft of space up there without a pros input or reinforcing. Let me say this, if you are able to reinforce it do it, you will sleep better. Is 1st floor even an option?
First floor is not really an option. I guess if I have to reinforce it some I will. But directly below the space is my garage. There isn't much space to just put a short little I beam with a post coming down to the slab. So we may have to construct a shelf style support at a 45 degree angle tying into joists and studs.

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got ya. and again, it may not be an issue at all and defiantly listen to what the pros say but I would (if possible and not to hard to do) reinforce to make me feel better.

OP
OP
R

RollTideReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got ya. and again, it may not be an issue at all and defiantly listen to what the pros say but I would (if possible and not to hard to do) reinforce to make me feel better.
I am a VP of Operations (Management Side) for a high end apartment developer. I have been speaking with the guys in our construction department and they have said I could do something like a 45 degree angled support below some sort of support plate. Imagine a shelf bracket of sorts. In addition to tying the joists as well. But this isn't a basement where I can just put a beam on top a post that goes directly into the foundation. Tricky tricky.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a VP of Operations (Management Side) for a high end apartment developer. I have been speaking with the guys in our construction department and they have said I could do something like a 45 degree angled support below some sort of support plate. Imagine a shelf bracket of sorts. In addition to tying the joists as well. But this isn't a basement where I can just put a beam on top a post that goes directly into the foundation. Tricky tricky.

yeah I would get them to take a real good look at it. you might be fine I once had a 240 in a house with a basement apt. under was on foundation wall and crossed may floor joist. I was fine granted it was only there for a year.

in the new place there a old foundation wall where the old house way added to the really old house so my guys are tiring in in somehow.
the tank was gonna be on only 2 joist running length wise so I def. needed more support. I am lucky as my fish room will be under so we can pretty much do anything.

OP
OP
R

RollTideReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the wife is giving me lots of **** about having this big tank right slap in the living room haha. My thought is if I am going to spend all this time, money, and effort I want to look at it alot while I am home. So I may have to put it in the guest bedroom on the first floor which is a pretty large bedroom. I am kind of bummed. Should I fight this or happy wife happy life?

Last edited:

JDadX3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the tank goin? I'm about to do the same and purchase and place the 525 XL on the second floor right along the metal beam, perpendicular to TJI Joists. Any issues?

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be upgrading to a 225 gal tank on, what is essentially the 2nd floor. I do have access to underneath as its my basement and I plan on adding an additional support structure. I plan on adding a 8 ft header and doubled up 2x6's. If you have a little time you can see what I will do as I will update my upgrade build thread with pictures when I do it. If you look at my 120 gal build thread you can see what I did to reinforce the floor. On my 225 upgrade I just plan on supporting it more.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back