New Reef Cycling and Compact Lab

R33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had this cycling issue since am in aquarium hobby..

I am currently cycling a new tank and the things have been playing with me. I have previous experience of freshwater tanks.
I started my tank 13 July last month
Water was Rodi 0tds
Redsea Live Pink Sand
Dry Indonesia Rock
80 Gallon Display
Sump Approx 30 Gallon
I used Rea Sea Pro Salt.
I used Seecham Stability to start off as it was readily available. Also I did ghost feeding for a week then I introduced a dead shrimp. But after 10 days I realized there was no changes in Ammonia and no Nitrites were forming. So I purchased Nitribiotic from Tropic Marine and after a week of so the Ammonia Started to go down on daily bases and Nitrite went up

Then I removed the dead shrimp i was adding in tank (possibly 3rd shrimp) and Ammonia went almost. 025 and Nitrites went down.
At this time I had the idea of the cycle moving towards end phase.

I was advised to put clown so now it will be okay as I was convinced aswell.

But Since I added clowns.. 1 clown was eating and moving everywhere other was staying near overflows and hanging upside-down.. few days back I fed them and did tests and fed some Nitribiotic into tank and went away when I came back my active clown was lying in corner and gasping.. I didn't know what caused it Ammonia was near 0.025 and nitrite were low. aswell but long story short it died that night after getting fit and started to swim all over.

I used Seecham Prime to detoxify the tank.. and did a 60 litres water change since I was not sure what was happening.. my Ammonia is stuck to the color in the pictures.. nitrite are stuck here as well..

I have attached the video of the sick fish then it was fine..

Most important factor is the large clown surviving hasn't eaten since more than a week. and is gulping.. Maybe because of stress or swin bladder disorder.. I did a Seecham Paragaurd dip and provided bioled peas.. I regularly hatch bribe shriml and it doesn't eat.

If anyone has any ideas of the ammonia test color.. for me Its not matching any color of the chart but thats why I am here..

20210819_155431.jpg 20210819_155421.jpg 20210819_160011.jpg

Attachments

• 20210812_125522.mp4
    21.2 MB
  • 20210812_175947.mp4
    16.4 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like its between .1 and .2.
As far as your cycle, you're kind of using multiple methods at the same time - with the shrimp, the fish, Nitrobiotic, etc.

I would suggest that 1) Clownfish should tolerate this level of ammonia - for some time. 2) Prime should have detoxified the ammonia (but your tests may still show positive 3) It sounds more like disease than a problem with your cycle.
Hope this helps some

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. Your cycle is most likely already completed. I would lean toward illness affecting your fish.

OP
OP
R33f

R33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 clown has not eaten since I purchased arround 8 or 9 days. I have tried Mysis, Vitalis Marine Pellets, Bioled Peas.. live hatched Brine Shrimp...
and its hiding in back side of rocks near overflow. And Gasping continously.

Both clowns were captive bred and were eating like anything. i have been following the fishes since few months in local reef shop.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go over to the fish disease forum and start a new post. Use this to help the process along.

OP
OP
R33f

R33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the video. before I did the dip..
there is nothing much which i can see but if you find nd something let me know.

Attachments

• 20210818_015503.mp4
    34.7 MB

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed all. the reason I think it can't be a cycle issue is because at one month boosted/fed, there are no lacking cycles they're all done. once nh3 conversion math is applied to that ammonia reading above its really not all that high, and for a color kit vs digital nh3 we know we're ballparking anyway and MN mentioned the ability for confounds to happen via dosers and compounding additives/metabolites. 100% agree disease tracking is the course I'd take, close out the cycling concerns this tank has met the applicable wait times from any cycling chart.

there is no time in updated cycling science that a reef given 30 days and this degree of feeding wouldnt be cycled. if it was part of my cycling threads, we change out all the water before adding fish, we never add fish to a stewing mix of nine different additives and if that happened here, do the water change matching temp and salinity to the current water table.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Chances are internal issue

OP
OP
R33f

R33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are internal issue
This is maybe the reason.. look at the first video right below the eye there is a white hairline and a hump..
The second is in the Dip..

third has its answers..

But the seller confirmed that he had used Parrarzi pro and General cure Api..
and I have been following the fishes since few months.. they were eating like dogs in there.. and still. fish has no other marks or blemishes looks prestine..

Attachments

• 20210818_015503.mp4
    34.7 MB
  • 20210818_180340.mp4
    17.9 MB
  • 20210818_180533.mp4
    6 MB

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back