New reef octopus and apex

ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should just be able to plug it into apex outlet and designate that outlet what it is, ie skimmer. It's extremely easy. Doesn't matter what kind of skimmer it is.

dysfam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not quite the same in term of what you can control if he has a skimmer that uses a DC pump :)
Jeremy has a very good reason to ask that question.....

You should just be able to plug it into apex outlet and designate that outlet what it is, ie skimmer. It's extremely easy. Doesn't matter what kind of skimmer it is.

ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate? I have Reef Octopus 150-sss skimmer & have Vectra M1 return pump. Just have them plugged into Apex (I have 2 power bars 832). They stop at certain times for auto water changes, feeding, etc. How else would you want to control them? Maybe I'm not using its full potential.

OP
OP
Bugger

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the new model with the vario speed option. I saw the video your people made but it uses the old dashboard . Has that changed since the video was created

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the new model with the vario speed option. I saw the video your people made but it uses the old dashboard . Has that changed since the video was created
I think knowing what type of skimmer you have is really going to help get you your answer. If it has an AC driven pump, it super simple. Go into the outlet it's plugged into, select skimmer from the "control type" drop down menu, set the feed timer you want it on, the delay and defer times and you're set. I'm not sure how you set it up for a DC pump. My guess is that you're going to have to write some code.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Model is in your title :)

Last edited:

ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because pump is DC doesn't mean you can control its speed thru Apex. Case and point vectra pumps (one I have that's a return pump). I can only plug it in and set various parameters such as when on off etc. But speed itself can only be controlled through vectra remote. For apex to work it would need to have appropriate interface module which not all pumps have. My maxspect gyre as example does have that module for apex which u have to purchase separately

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because pump is DC doesn't mean you can control its speed thru Apex. Case and point vectra pumps (one I have that's a return pump). I can only plug it in and set various parameters such as when on off etc. But speed itself can only be controlled through vectra remote. For apex to work it would need to have appropriate interface module which not all pumps have. My maxspect gyre as example does have that module for apex which u have to purchase separately

the speed on the RO varios pumps can be controlled by APEX. Thats how i run mine. can dial it in from 0 - 100% with the apex. it overrides the stock dc pump controller.

OP
OP
Bugger

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the speed on the RO varios pumps can be controlled by APEX. Thats how i run mine. can dial it in from 0 - 100% with the apex. it overrides the stock dc pump controller.
Are you using the old dashboard in apex to control the pump Lovemycj7 or have they come out with something better yet

dysfam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all DC pumps are controllable by Apex, Vectra is 1 of them. The question is about "reef octopus and apex". And since the OP said it is 1 of "the new model with the vario speed option" skimmer, it has the 0-10v Input for 3rd Party Controller...This is I guess where the Apex comes in as the VarioS-2 Controllable Water Pump is Apex ready

downset21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share your program? I have a regal pump connected to apex. Also, what percent to you run your pump at?

downset21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that you need to access the apex dashboard to put in code for the variable speed port (jdmee shared the cable you will need).

So yes, I used the old style dashboard. Here is my code. Even though you can see it here with fusion, I had to use the old dashboard to input it initially. The other commands you see such as “skmr_rampup” and “skmrfeed” were created in the “profile setup”

IMG_1488.JPG

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back