New Reef Parameters

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’m about 1 week into my new tank. Still testing 2 ppm for ammonia, 2 ppm for Nitrite and 5 ppm for Nitrate. I used Microbacter Start XLM after trying Seachem stability and not seeing any nitrite produced after a week ( I tried cycling rock in rubbermaid tub before I had tank setup).

I used Marcos reef saver rock and CaribSea Arag-Alive special grade sand. Using RODI water I make using BRS 4 stage system. Using Red Sea coral pro salt.

My question is how to optimize the parameters below:
PH 8.0
Calcium 580!!!
Alkalinity 9

I’m confused while the calcium is so high, at first I thought it might be because my water was still cloudy from the initial setup when I tested the first day (it was over 600+), but now the water has cleared up and it’s still quite high.

I’d also like to raise my pH a little.

any tips? I plan on dosing all for reef once the tank is established, but it’s just rock sand and water at this point since the cycle isn’t done.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby....

Take all measurements with a grain of salt. Hobby-grade Ca measurements in particular are subject to inaccuracy and human error. I estimate that my Hanna Ca meter is +/- 50ppm.

Red sea Coral Pro Salt is a high-parameter salt...so expect higher parameters.

If your salinity is high, all your parameters will be higher. Again, our hobby-grade salinity meters aren't that accurate.

If you want a better understanding of pH:

Many tanks are successful with pH between 7.8 and 8.6 NBS and daily swings as much as 0.5. Chasing and controlling pH is advanced reefing with limited concrete benefits.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the hobby....

Take all measurements with a grain of salt. Hobby-grade Ca measurements in particular are subject to inaccuracy and human error. I estimate that my Hanna Ca meter is +/- 50ppm.

Red sea Coral Pro Salt is a high-parameter salt...so expect higher parameters.

If your salinity is high, all your parameters will be higher. Again, our hobby-grade salinity meters aren't that accurate.

If you want a better understanding of pH:

Many tanks are successful with pH between 7.8 and 8.6 NBS and daily swings as much as 0.5. Chasing and controlling pH is advanced reefing with limited concrete benefits.
Thank you! Salinity is 35. The salt mix states Calcium of 465 @ 35, so I was a little confused how I was getting >600 initially.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Salinity probably isn't far off if you're calibrated. Accuracy of API Ca I would just use a ballpark...
I did check the calibration of the refractometer when I got it with RODI and it read 0. I’m sure for $19 it’s not the most accurate device in the world, but I should be pretty close to to 35.

My plan is to eventually get some better quality checkers down the road when the bank account recovers from the initial setup costs.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tested the tank again tonight and Ammonia remains at 2.0, Nitrite at 2.0 and Nitrate at 80.

My last two tanks I don’t remember the ammonia staying high like this once Nitrite/Nitrate started showing up, but still waiting it out and doing daily tests. Hoping by next week it’ll be cycled then time to figure out what fish I want.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update on tank parameters. Nitrate is maxed on the API test kit. Ammonia seems to be coming down/stalled at low levels and Nitrite is stable at 2.0 for several days. I’m at day 10. Would it be reasonable to redose the Microbacter Start XLM?

Attachments

• 82FE4D5C-5D39-4AC9-9364-093A79E6ED66.jpeg
    82FE4D5C-5D39-4AC9-9364-093A79E6ED66.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 22

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back