New reef tank - and some basic questions

Aedanmor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone,

I have been keeping freshwater tanks for nearly 30 years and I have finally made the jump into saltwater. This is my first reef tank and having done some basic research thought I’d post here to get some feedback, as well as ask a couple of questions. Sorry for the length of post. First, the specs:

90 gallon (4’ x 18” x 25”)
Bean type DIY return
3.5 “ sand substrate
~ 80 pounds of LR arranged in a central pillar zip ties to a PVC diy stand.
Jebao DCT 15000 set at half flow capacity
Sump with algae and grow light strip
Reef Octopus CoralVue skimmer (not sure of the size)
Phosphate reactor (not set up yet)
Lighting: LED light bar and one Kessil tuna blue light (will eventually replace the bar with another Kessil).

The tank, sump, skimmer, and reactor are all second hand. The pump & plumbing are all new.

The live rock and substrate are from a FOWLR tank I dismantled for this one. That tank was 55 gallon and had a fully mature 3 ft snowflake eel in it for more than a year. (Donated the eel to a LFS when I took the reef plunge.)

Livestock is limited as it’s still new (cycled for a month prior to adding last week):
2 emerald crabs
8 nessarius snails
6 astrea snails
8 hermit crabs (tiny)
1 lawnmower blenny
1 Ocellaris clown
1 rose BTA (maybe half dollar sized)

Parameters have been pretty good so far:
Ammonia & Nitrite at 0
Nitrate at 2ish
SG: 1.025
PH: 8.2
Temperature 76/78 (thinking of getting a bigger heater)
Alkalinity: 12
Calcium read at 12, but I think maybe I’m doing that one wrong.
Phosphate: 2

Ok so now on to the questions:

1.) The skimmer is not running now as it was consistently overflowing with bubbles. On this model it appears I can not control the Venturi - it’s either open or plugged, so I cannot regulate the amount of air. It was so much bubbles that it they made their way into the pump and into the display tank. Does anyone have experience with this type of skimmer? Any advice on keeping the bubbles low? I did read that prime water treatment will froth and that could be the cause. I don’t have an RODI system so I can only convert tap to tank water.

2.) my anemone was doing ok first few days but has since disappeared overnight. I know they move but it’s odd that I cannot see it at all. Wondering if the CUC would take it down overnight?

3.) as mentioned above, I have the LR in a central pillar. Great for hiding places and surface area, but wondering if this is poor design?

Thanks in advance!

F30E5492-254F-4E36-8157-AB7B3D4E0DDB.jpeg

FFCC3314-5A90-4C4B-A767-E59A17164E4B.jpeg

6CA587C4-9FDA-4B84-95D2-8ABF8BC0E779.jpeg

F245048A-69E4-4872-AC99-1D9569205BDA.jpeg

567302F1-379E-4085-972F-4DF4BA4316AC.jpeg

87047363-DEE7-4417-B3D3-07CAAB87C7AA.jpeg

282D4C9C-1D5E-4E50-B773-C8E27A53E540.jpeg

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Have you tried opening up the water exit valve on the skimmer? It should allow the water level to lower in the skimmer body, thus lowering the bubble line.
2. no idea with nems. they have a mind of their own, and I don't have one.
3. I'd break up the one central tower into two, one higher than the other. The rule of thirds. Easier on the eye.

edit: are you aware you're dosing your tank with sour cream? If I were a fish, I'd want to live in your tank! ;)

OP
OP
Aedanmor

Aedanmor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Haha. Yes, the sour cream is apparently good for the fish’s skin. :)

I have both completely opened the gate valve and lowered it. Same outcome. I haven’t done a water change since adding live stock so I’m thinking that’s the next thing to try. Do you make or buy your water from a LFS?

Re: the columns, do the crabs need access to air at all? I know some FW crabs do.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its possible you have a lot funk in the water causing the skimmer to go crazy. See if the water change makes it any better. Run the valve all the way open. If that makes too big a mess you can try raising or lowering the skimmer. Maybe try low fat sour cream?

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with lapin. Raise the skimmer a bit more.
Any crabs you acquire in this hobby won't need access to the surface, as far as I have seen. None that I'm aware of. I've got blue and red legged hermits and a couple of emeralds and they don't leave the water column.

ReeferHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from BTA until your tank has been solid for roughly 8 months, I learned the hard way as he got caught in the wave maker, but they can also block the overflow which can cause issues

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B
Stay away from BTA until your tank has been solid for roughly 8 months, I learned the hard way as he got caught in the wave maker, but they can also block the overflow which can cause issues
BTA are pretty hardy. Most issues are that they move to where you don't want them. (yours) They split/reproduce like crazy and can take over your tank, killing other corals. (Re-home them to all your friends) They get caught in power heads, wave makers and the mess is toxic to your tank. Other than that they are good little fun guys in a tank.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used any type of putty or hydraulic cement to attach the rocks together, that would make the skimmer go crazy for awhile as well.

Caliguy1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the skimmer new?? A new skimmer takes a while to break in. Also did you read up on the suggested water height for the skimmer? For example mine has to be set at exactly 8 inches from the base. As for the RBTA, you really don't have enough light. I've kept anemones in other tanks and I've moved away from them in my sps dominant tank. They move around and sting coral. Plus, they can get sucked into your powerhead and crash a tank.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer went nuts once. The cup filled quickly and over flowed. I emptied the cup and turned it back on, emptied the cup and turned it back on, and emptied the cup and turned it back on. I added the qequivilent amount of salt water to keep the salinity stable. Whatever was bothering the skimmer was in the hyper skimmate because after that it settled down.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a new skimmer dialed in is a pain in the butt. You never know what to expect from the thing. The tiniest adjustment can make it go from not enough to overflowing very quickly.

OP
OP
Aedanmor

Aedanmor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the skimmer new?? A new skimmer takes a while to break in. Also did you read up on the suggested water height for the skimmer? For example mine has to be set at exactly 8 inches from the base. As for the RBTA, you really don't have enough light. I've kept anemones in other tanks and I've moved away from them in my sps dominant tank. They move around and sting coral. Plus, they can get sucked into your powerhead and crash a tank.

Not a new skimmer. Got it second hand from someone who upgraded, and it had been running for a few years.

OP
OP
Aedanmor

Aedanmor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news is the little nem has emerged! Of course it seems to like to hide inside the column making it such a joy to view.

IMG_1109.JPG

OP
OP
Aedanmor

Aedanmor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used any type of putty or hydraulic cement to attach the rocks together, that would make the skimmer go crazy for awhile as well.

None yet. No other corals in tank yet.

OP
OP
Aedanmor

Aedanmor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Need more light than another 160?

OP
OP
Aedanmor

Aedanmor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer went nuts once. The cup filled quickly and over flowed. I emptied the cup and turned it back on, emptied the cup and turned it back on, and emptied the cup and turned it back on. I added the qequivilent amount of salt water to keep the salinity stable. Whatever was bothering the skimmer was in the hyper skimmate because after that it settled down.

Will have to try this too. Water change didn’t seem to effect it.

OP
OP
Aedanmor

Aedanmor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I ended up removing the column completely. Didn’t really mean to at first but if just kinda happened. Good news is I can (for now at least) easily access and spot feed the nem.

I did notice that several snails went over to it and poked it with their proboscis (proboscii?) which they quickly found to be unpleasant. I’m hoping it was more exploratory on their part rather than them being attracted to a dying animal.

Here are some updated shots.

4a336fe7ff674fb8ab5340e35f0c2e3d.jpg

a247d8cb6677322b6ccca546448cc457.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back