New Reefer 525XL - plumbing help

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm new here and finding my way around. We just purchased a new Red Sea Reefer 525 and are working on the plumbing and return pump. Is there anyone here with this system that left their plumbing stock? I have a question on the return line, and in trying to search here for an answer, it seems most everyone has replaced their plumbing or modified it heavily.

OP
OP
XLReefer525

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Flux - I also intend to use tubing to connect pump to return line. I purchased a DC return pump of about 3,000 GPH so I could dial it back and have a lot of play room. From everything I read, the suggested flow / return on this tank is 1060 GPH. So, when I go to hook it up, I am surprised to see the return line hose barb, which is a "stepped" barb that looks to be about 3/4", then stepped down to about 1/2". I've attempted to attach a picture. I can't imagine I could get decent flow out of this. I don't know whether I am supposed to cut off the small barb and leave the fat one? I would assume I need at least 3/4" return. I just want the recommended flow without causing any problems. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• Return barb.jpg
    Return barb.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 52

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm new here and finding my way around. We just purchased a new Red Sea Reefer 525 and are working on the plumbing and return pump. Is there anyone here with this system that left their plumbing stock? I have a question on the return line, and in trying to search here for an answer, it seems most everyone has replaced their plumbing or modified it heavily.

Mine is stock as well, I just ran a flexible tube from the pump to the return.

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 525 is a newer version of mine, but I’ll try to get a picture here in a few mins. I left the barb alone no cutting and use 1” tubing. I put both a 1” plastic clip, and a 3/4” clip on the pipe just to make sure it’s secure. Mine doesn’t move, and I haven’t had a single problem.

OP
OP
XLReefer525

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 525 is a newer version of mine, but I’ll try to get a picture here in a few mins. I left the barb alone no cutting and use 1” tubing. I put both a 1” plastic clip, and a 3/4” clip on the pipe just to make sure it’s secure. Mine doesn’t move, and I haven’t had a single problem.
Thanks. It must be different. At the opening, mine is 1/2". Tops.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is absolutely no need to clamp on both barbs. If your tubing fits the larger barb just ignore the lower one. I personally would cut off the lower barb if not used. But that’s just me.

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ended up with two clamps was an air bubble formed, while it would probably have been fine I just threw another clamp since I had it laying around.

OP
OP
XLReefer525

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with my 425. I cut off the narrow portion with a dremel.
It almost looks like it is designed to be cut. Why have the smaller barb blocking the larger one that is clearly designed to hold a larger hose? Of course, nothing in the directions and I can find nothing online. I really hate to go cutting anything without knowing for certain...

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like it is designed to be cut. Why have the smaller barb blocking the larger one that is clearly designed to hold a larger hose? Of course, nothing in the directions and I can find nothing online. I really hate to go cutting anything without knowing for certain...
It is designed to be cut. it allows for different size tubing. if you want small tubing leave it alone, larger tubing you cut off the small portion. I have a sicce pump and the tubes it came with are the same. The sicce instructions make it clear to cut off the smaller portion if larger tubing is to be used. FYI

OP
OP
XLReefer525

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is designed to be cut. it allows for different size tubing. if you want small tubing leave it alone, larger tubing you cut off the small portion. I have a sicce pump and the tubes it came with are the same. The sicce instructions make it clear to cut off the smaller portion if larger tubing is to be used. FYI
Thanks!!

Back