New Reefer DiscGolfRob's 50G SCA Build Thread

D04DBF85-65B3-40AE-B6C9-FD6136D0CA01.jpeg
 
5E3E1E23-1FF9-4DDA-8F2C-45CF9C4B25D7.jpeg
8180ED4F-2087-40C3-9067-70F33CFBC5FE.jpeg
F512F8B0-1809-431A-96E9-CB6728857503.jpeg

Lots of interesting sharing, on many threads, about other hobbies. In addition to disc golf, I make some pretty neat things out of card stock. This is a project I finished, recently. It’s a 5 and a half foot tall Link, from the Zelda games.
 
I started experimenting with cutting back a little on water changes. I had been doing 20-25%, weekly, and realized that was likely overkill. I gave it an extra week, this time, and did some tests, last night. My nitrates are still <2. The diatoms on my sand and rock have died off. I am starting to see spots of coraline algae, and no other algae in quantities that I would expect to be using a ton of nutrients. I think that I am going to start feeding a bit more, as I start thinking about adding more coral.
 
Productive day, today! I finally cemented my pipes. I think I'll get the extra hose I need for my RO/DI this week, and do a leak test next weekend. I'm nervous :confused:
IMG_0801.JPG


I also got my light in the mail! I went with a NanoBox Reef Duo + M. I feel like this was the toughest decision I have made on the build, so far. I did research to the point I had doubts about every light there is, but I felt good about this one. Obviously, there's no water or rock in the tank, yet, but the light looks super clean. The control is also very easy to use. My tank is probably the largest size that one of these lights would work for, but I feel confident it will be good. If not, I always have the option of adding another.
Few quick questions on this as I'm working on plumbing my SCA 50 cube - for the gate valve fittings, did you use 1" Schedule 80 45° Elbow Slip x Spigot (Street) fittings from BRS? And then which size gate valve did you order, 1" or 3/4"?

Lastly, did you cement the pipes on the inside of the overflow box?

Trying to avoid ordering the wrong parts . Thanks!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new