New reefer first algae issue

Emptyness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I am new to corals and reefing. My tank is a 30L one (about 8g), I bought it almost 2 weeks ago. Then I put 3 live rocks from my LFS, dry sand and filled it with water - again - from my LFS. I have a heater, a flow pump and 2x 6W LEDs (1 blue and 1 white). That's all.

The inhabitants are just 3 corals - Zoa frag, Discosoma mushroom and a leather coral. From the rocks poped out a bristleworm and a lot of Asterina starfishes. But I think they are fine.

Now to what is not fine.

Dirt2.jpg

I have noticed this "dirt" on the glass a few days ago and it's getting thicker and thicker. I believe it's some sort of algae. I am not sure which kind, but I don't like it already.

What should I do? I thought just scraping it off the glass with my hand, won't do much, because it will still be in the water and will settle somewhere else.

2 days ago I did my first water change (about 1/3rd of the whole tank) - with water from my LFS, but I didn't notice any improvement (like slowing the growth of the mass). Also there is a issue I have noticed with the tank-water - before and after the change and I am not sure what it is (or if it is related to the algae problem or not) - this film on the surface (it was there before the change and it was there after it as well :( ):

Dirt1.jpg

On Saturday I am planning to go to the LFS again and ask them also about those things and possible solutions. And also I will buy more water from them to do another maybe 20-25% water change on the weekend.

I don't have any testing equipment at the moment and I don't plan on buying any until next year.

Thanks a lot for your time and suggestions. I really appreciate any advices since I am so new to this, but like it and want to slowly build in to it.
Vanyo

OP
OP
Emptyness

Emptyness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your reef is very new and unfortunately you are going to go through some "ugly" phases.
Cheers! Mark

Thanks for the reply, Mark. So, I just have to wait, do my water changes every week and the things will go away just like that?
Because I kinda want to achieve one day a beautiful reef tank, full with corals, like I am seeing here on the forum or in youtube :). I am in no rush whatsoever and I have a tight budget for this "project" :), which I am trying to compensate with a lot of passion :)))

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back