New Refractometer!

  • Thread starter Thread starter justjes45
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

justjes45

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 24, 2015
Messages
1,156
Reaction score
543
What state or country do you live in
Vermont
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so my refractometer got here today and I have never used one before.
It says my S.G is at 1.020 and that makes my PPT a 30. Anybody want to help me de-code this?
 
No decoding necessary. it's 1.020. Is that where you want it? If you have corals I would top off with saltwater instead of fresh to raise it to the 1.025 ish range.
Is there something else that's maybe giving you trouble with it? Seems like you know how to use it just fine :)
 
No, it just seemed too easy, and I had no idea what PPT was...
Thanks!
 
as long as you tested with calibration solution and are sure of the accuracy, theres not much too it. add the water drops, close the viewer and read. If you know its accurate, then Id say your salinity is a bit low. as melpyr said, top off with SW instead of rodi to bring it back up
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new