OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also here is a picture of my sump just for reference if anyone wants to see what I’m running for filtration or to add suggestions to filtration I should add. I’m currently also dealing with gha. I am running the reef mat as you can see and then the Red Sea skimmer I know my skimmate is not great yet it’s not fully broken in yet. I have ceramic media in the bottom for some added bio filtration and then in a bag I have some phosguard in it to try to bring my phosphates down to get rid of the algae.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 86

Golfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also here is a picture of my sump just for reference if anyone wants to see what I’m running for filtration or to add suggestions to filtration I should add. I’m currently also dealing with gha. I am running the reef mat as you can see and then the Red Sea skimmer I know my skimmate is not great yet it’s not fully broken in yet. I have ceramic media in the bottom for some added bio filtration and then in a bag I have some phosguard in it to try to bring my phosphates down to get rid of the algae.
Nice.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not updated in quite some time my tank has made a little progress not with fish tho. I’m taking my time now after the big loss of fish and I’m gonna slowly add one by one until I hit what I feel is my limit. I don’t really know what else I want to add. I’m thinking either lawnmower Blenny or Midas blenny. I would like to add another melanarus wrasse but they keep dying I’ve had 2 so far. Maybe another chalk bass and royal gramma. Feel free to give me any other fish suggestions.

Currently I have:
1 chalk bass
2 clownfish

I’m dealing with gha but I’m continuing to be patient and I’ve been adding phosguard to keep phosphates down. And manual removal. Any suggestions there would be nice as well.

I will attach a photo of how it’s looking now I added a few more pieces of coral.

Attachments

• IMG_9738.jpeg
    IMG_9738.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 48

Ianfaulk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and had the same issues with fish disease. Mine was Velvet and killed a royal gramma, two Banggai Cardinalfish, and a neon Goby
You have to be very careful where you buy the fish as the Banggai's are what killed everything I'm thinking. I now have a flame hawkfish and a pair of clowns, I'm thinking of adding another royal Gramma, 6 line Wrasse, starry or Midas Blenny, and a green or blue mandarin. Did you figure out the Skimmer yet?

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and had the same issues with fish disease. Mine was Velvet and killed a royal gramma, two Banggai Cardinalfish, and a neon Goby
You have to be very careful where you buy the fish as the Banggai's are what killed everything I'm thinking. I now have a flame hawkfish and a pair of clowns, I'm thinking of adding another royal Gramma, 6 line Wrasse, starry or Midas Blenny, and a green or blue mandarin. Did you figure out the Skimmer yet?
Yeah I’m thinkin about ordering fish off Dr reefs quarantine. I just have had trouble keeping melanarus wrasse. I think I may get royal gramma, lawnmower blenny, I’m still considering maybe a small tomini tang, or another melanarus wrasse soon obviously just one or 2 off that list at a time. I think I got the skimmer more dialed in.

Ianfaulk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome, did you figure out the gha problem? I had a small outbreak and used some "reef snow" with a larger cuc and it cleared it all up for the most part.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome, did you figure out the gha problem? I had a small outbreak and used some "reef snow" with a larger cuc and it cleared it all up for the most part.
I’m still struggling with it a bit what does reef snow do and what is it?

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the tank:
I got 3 new fish a new baby chalk bass, royal gramma and a Tomini tang. Ik ik it’s too big for my tank. Don’t come at me tang police I know that I’m either gonna have to rehome him when he gets to big or upgrade my tank in a few years which I’m very much willing to do. The Tomini tang right now is slightly bigger than a quarter. It’s doing good rn. Still trying to battle some hair algae and I think I may be getting Cyano on the sand bed. I assume this is all just new tank syndrome and will go away as time goes on and regular maintenance. I added a new torch and some gsp since the last update as well.

Attachments

• IMG_9895.jpeg
    IMG_9895.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9894.jpeg
    IMG_9894.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9896.jpeg
    IMG_9896.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9897.jpeg
    IMG_9897.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 25

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tomini in my 250 G2+... he seems just fine :)

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using the reef snow a few weeks ago have dosed it twice and haven’t seen much improvement. Should I be dosing it more than once a week I also put a few drops of microbacter 7 in there for Cyano and I added copepods and I dose phyto everyday but I’m still having trouble with the algae.

Ianfaulk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to cut back a little on feeding and try to have the lights on less hours per day to see if that helps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back