new skimmer reef octo Vs nyos

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both. I have had two Reef octopus skimmers going for 8+ years. Been happy with them but feel like I have to replace the pumps more often than I should (on 3rd of 4th pump on my largest one). I have a Nyos 120 on my Red Sea 170 and have liked it (6 months into it). It is very quiet (but also a lot smaller than my Reef Octos). The build quality on the Nyos is a bit higher but have not seen it perform better than the Reef Octopus. On the Reef Octopus skimmers I run Avast Marine swabbies and external skimmate storage so I don't touch them but every few months.
Which pump have gone bad on the RO Dc or AC?

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running an Octo 250int and recently switched to a NYOS 160. Both are great units, never failed me and pull plenty of skim. My next skimmer will be Royal Exclusive for sure, I like trying different equipment.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both are decent skimmers.
I tested out a DC RO skimmer for Coralvue once and it was a beast.
Either skimmer would work well...

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Reef octo and now a nyos 220 they are both amazing and real easy to dial in. Only reason I changed was for an upgrade of the skimmer and got a deal I couldnt pass up. Dont think you can go wrong with either.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of price would be reasonable for a used elite 200 int ( pump outside)
I would personally would pay 400-450. I think what people want for used gear in this hobby is absurd. I think for used equipment, which I define as not returnable. Should start at 25% off retail.

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've got myself a nyos 220 at a very good price.

I'm undecided on it at the moment as its hot a very annoying hum to it.
My bedroom is above the tank and I can here it at night
Will give it a week or two to bed in and hopefully the noise will reduce otherwise I'll be selling it

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've got myself a nyos 220 at a very good price.

I'm undecided on it at the moment as its hot a very annoying hum to it.
My bedroom is above the tank and I can here it at night
Will give it a week or two to bed in and hopefully the noise will reduce otherwise I'll be selling it
I had a old reef octo with a nice and quite sicce pump. It did the same thing so I got one of those silicone mats for hot pans and put it under it and made it silent.

Littlesquishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Aaronreef is there an update? I am interested in hearing your experience. The fish tank will be in the living room close to the wall where my brother sleeps. Which is more quiet, Nyos 220 or New skimmer (what model?)?

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Aaronreef is there an update? I am interested in hearing your experience. The fish tank will be in the living room close to the wall where my brother sleeps. Which is more quiet, Nyos 220 or New skimmer (what model?)?
I've been running the nyos for awhile now and am pleased it's bedded in nicely or I've just go used to it as it don't hear anything from it.
Overall I'm happy with it I got it very cheap in as new condition it works well and hasn't given me any real issues I'd happily have another one

elwallacejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a fan of Nyos since I got back into the hobby in 2016. They are nicely build and solid. And they skim a lot quickly. I've had two 120's and a 160 (the 160 is currently for sale since I'm down sizing). I can't speak about the RO but there are clearly a lot of fans on this thread. FWIW, if I get into a big tank again, I'll probably stick with Nyos.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back