New skimmer

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright everyone so I just bought a Bubble-Magnus Curve 5 skimmer and it’s not skimming any bubbles. The water is just being taken through it. It’s on a 60 gallon cube with a pintail wrasse, algae blenny, mandarin goby, neon blue goby, two orange spot gobies, pistol shrimp and three electric blue leg hermit crabs.

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers use the Venturi effect to suck air while the pump sucks water. Usually a flex tube that connects near the water entry point.

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Verify that the tube is connected to the intake on the skimmer and it is attached to the cylinder outside of the water. I love the Curve 5, but it needs to be in less than 7" of water as well(6-6.5" is optimal in my case). I had Marc from Melev's Reef build me a skimmer stand. I use it for a 100 gallon and it does well. Pictures of the setup will help diagnose the issue.

OP
OP
Whysosalty

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d7a7b7c01e9626bd07fd94435a767257.jpg

This is the setup

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The airline and muffler on the left there looks like it's below the water line...

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it out and put it in a bucket of water 6 inches high.

When you do that and turn it on. What happens?

A hum? Water being pumped somewhere?

OP
OP
Whysosalty

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does hum. The water is just being pumped up to the top. No bubbles. Like there are tiny little bubbles and I can see the water being whipped around in the middle but no big bubbles like it’s supposed to

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an air inlet valve on the silencer on this model? You should have an opening somewhere going into the silencer, then through the silicone tube, and into the venturi fitting at the pump entrance. That, too... meaning the venturi fitting, might be adjustable... some of them are. Does it turn/unscrew?

See if you can blow into the air opening on the silencer... could be something blocking it.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, the more I look at it... The venturi assembly looks just like the one my friend has on his Skimz... and it's adjustable. If it's closed, you wouldn't get any air. See if you can turn it counter-clockwise to adjust the air inlet.

OP
OP
Whysosalty

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did all that you have mentioned. Even raised the water level to 10”. Still nothing. Should I just leave the skimmer running and wait and see tomorrow if it’s skimminf bubbles?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No... something is wrong. No bubbles is not a normal breakin thing... What happened when you blew air into the silencer? Either you couldn't, in which case it's blocked somewhere, or the air had to come out somewhere...

Pump firmly attached to the intake venturi?

OP
OP
Whysosalty

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No... something is wrong. No bubbles is not a normal breakin thing... What happened when you blew air into the silencer? Either you couldn't, in which case it's blocked somewhere, or the air had to come out somewhere...

When I blew air into the silencer it went right thru, there was no bloackage. The pump is firmly attached.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back