New Snail Batch - all have things on them. Vermitids?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kinda a double post, sorry if it breaks rules. So I have a new batch of snails in invert QT and a bunch of them have various things growing on them. A post last night for one of them responses ranged from barnacles (yay?) to vermitids (boooooo?)

Any ID on this bunch, and if Vermitids then do I throw the bunch out, or try to remove the growths without killing the snails?

Apologies for the patchy focus, phone camera is very uncooperative when it comes to recognizing miniature sea monsters.

IMG_9382.jpeg
IMG_9381.jpeg
IMG_9379.jpeg
IMG_9378.jpeg
IMG_9377.jpeg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The twisted hitchhiker shells are indicators of Vermitid snails. As @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal mentioned, you can chisel the Vermitid snails off; just remember to remove the entire snail, including the base of the spiral where the mollusk lives.
Oh, and it looks like the amphipod returned to say hello in the second-to-last picture!

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and it looks like the amphipod returned to say hello in the second-to-last picture!
Heh, there’s a very healthy population and wide variety of the things in there. Rode in on the rocks you see in the background and with snails that have passed through the tank, and the tank stays well fed as I’m trying to keep algae growing for the inverts.

If there's something on the snail shells that you're unsure of, just scrape/chisel it off.
Yeah, think this is the way it’s going to go.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back