Are these vermitide snails?

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got some new coral a few weeks ago and I’ve been noticing “stalks” growing at the bottom of it. I saw a post pass by on vermitide snails and now I’m worried that that is what I’m looking at. It has a white base with pink head both on my frogspawn. Pictures aren’t super clear but they might give you guys an idea of what it can be? I had just turned on my lights so they are still retracted and show those “stalks” a bit better.

45AF63D2-822F-4871-9E17-190F1B7C1F41.jpeg 0878C7F0-8284-4764-8DB5-4D35B955F4DC.jpeg

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what they look like, you can manually remove, glue over them to seal them in, or get bumblebee snails.
Some people keep them without too much hassle, if they start to irritate your corals you'll want to remove them.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what they look like, you can manually remove, glue over them to seal them in, or get bumblebee snails.
Some people keep them without too much hassle, if they start to irritate your corals you'll want to remove them.
That’s what I was afraid of. First I hoped it was some sort of beneficial coral growth until it started to get longer

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was afraid of. First I hoped it was some sort of beneficial coral growth until it started to get longer
They may infest your tank, they may not. I've had a few in my tank and only spot treat the ones that really impact my corals.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may infest your tank, they may not. I've had a few in my tank and only spot treat the ones that really impact my corals.
I just did and applied a blob of glue over the heads. Hopefully that solves it

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most cases it does (not trying to worry you, I think this is quite rare) so I glued one over, and that little thing wanted to live so bad, it just ate through the old skeleton and grew a new tube!!! Lol I thought that was hilarious

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most cases it does (not trying to worry you, I think this is quite rare) so I glued one over, and that little thing wanted to live so bad, it just ate through the old skeleton and grew a new tube!!! Lol
That is hilarious Like a little Mcguyver

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did and applied a blob of glue over the heads. Hopefully that solves it
If you do see more, I like to use that putty instead, I feel that the glue can be hard to work with. Plus I can never get those caps open due to them being glued shut

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most cases it does (not trying to worry you, I think this is quite rare) so I glued one over, and that little thing wanted to live so bad, it just ate through the old skeleton and grew a new tube!!! Lol I thought that was hilarious
That's actually what usually happens...

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to putty, and it covers up the whole thing so I don’t have to deal with it growing new heada

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No? I hear everyone dreading these guys so I am immediately on high alert
I didn’t have it cause problems except for this really big one under my leather, I feel they look really ugly though, and they reproduce really fast, just keep the population under control, and you should be good (assuming you didn’t kill that one or there are more)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I know, I was laughing because I didn’t know that’s what usually happens
That's why removing the actual snail is advised, whether by adding a predator or by manually removing the entire shell + snail outside of the tank.

Fwiw, you CAN make them relocate by breaking/sealing the shell and often this solves the problem of a specific snail web bothering coral.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get some sort of plyer and crush them. I hate vermatids and wish them a happy extinction in tanks.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back