New stocking list.

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know that this is all my fault for not following QT procedures and it was an expensive lesson to learn. I recently lost most of my fish to a marine velvet outbreak. I think it came in on some anthias that where added. The only fish that didn't show any signs where my orange spotted goby and diamond goby both of whom are in a observation tank right now. To fix this problem I'm going with a 60 day fallow period during witch I'm going to be doing a better job at planing out a stocking list.
I'm looking for suggestions on fish that are problem solvers in a sps dom. 60 cube. Fish that will go after pests such as algea, bugs, and other pest that are typical in our hobby. I'm not opposed to getting something like a tang or butterfly fish small and rehomeing them as they out grow the tank and who knows I may have a larger set up by then.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fox face, melenarus wrasse, some small tang. They will gooble up lots of algae and bugs.

What are your plans for QT now? I am a big fan of copper and prazipro for almost all my fish and also include a formalin dip for most of my wild caught fish.

Sorry about the crash. Most people learn to QT the hard way. It is just part of the hobby. I qt my sps as well..

OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a 20 g that I have the gobys in so I'll probably use that for QT after they go back into the display. As far as procedures I will give new fish a week worth of observation which will be used to get them eating then a round of prazipro followed with another week worth of observation a 4 week coupramine treatment then another round of prazipro. Of course treatment will begin asap if anything shows up during observation. By my calculations this will be about a 2 month QT period

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. You can start copper as soon as you get them. It doesnt supress appetite like prazi can. Many people combine prazi and copper as well. My Qt rarely goes over a month unless a fish is having an issue.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a yellow wrasse (H. chrysus) and a lawnmower blenny for eating pests and algae.

I would not put any tang, rabbitfish, or butterflyfish in a 2 foot cube. There are also very few butterflies that I would trust with corals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back