New Sump Shocked Fish

Riccio16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a 20 gal reef with a HoB filter for about 6-7 months now. The fish/corals have all been healthy, but I've been having a hard time keeping the algae under control as it seems the filter can't quite keep up with the nutrient input. Enter DIY sump...

I built the sump, got a skimmer, and got the pump and overflow basically in synch, but for whatever reason as soon as I started running the complete system my fish were immediately in shock, and looked like they were going to die. I've tried twice and had the same, almost instantaneous result; unfortunately it looks like the wrasse isn't going the hang on (we'll see).

I'm curious if others have run into a similar problem getting an after-the-fact sump up and running.

Thanks

TighTT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not a normal reaction. Was the sump cleaned thoroughly prior to being installed?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked for stray voltage? Maybe you are, in fact, shocking them. It could be a return pump. Take a voltage meter, set it on 120 volt AC, insert black probe in grounding hole in electrical outlet, insert red probe in tank water, check to see if any movement on meter, which will indicate stray voltage. If so, unplug one electrical appliance at a time and retest until you find the culprit.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious here, were the waters PH, Temp, SG and other params the same as the tank when you turned this all on? If this is a DIY, what type of Silicone did you use?

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use for the sump?
Did you use any cleaning products, glues or sealants that could be a source?

An immediate response makes me think it is chemical.
I would take the sum off line till you can isolate the problem .
Would also suggest running GAC just in case it is a chemical release.

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you leave the hang on the back going for any period of time until new bacteria colonized in your sump? Could have disturbed the bacterial and cause tank to cycle.

OP
OP
R

Riccio16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to double check on the silicone. I hadn't seen anything that recommended avoiding specific silicones...Also I would add that the parameters are all where they should be, but the temperature is slightly high this week due to the heat. My instincts are telling me that the fish could handle 2 or 3 degrees of temperature change without looking drastically unhealthier

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use of GE Silicone I or GE II are the only ones used for making aquariums. Those and Aquarium Silicone.
2-3 degree temp swing would not have shocked anything.

OP
OP
R

Riccio16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used GE II. I noticed though that its mold resistant. Im wondering if that means there's a chemical residue being released, and subsequently if there's something i could do to remedy that

jbeanz24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I learned when resealing my sump, The GE silicone with mold resistance is not good for aquarium use that may be your problem. I believe it leachea toxins

Rockhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get back to the stray voltage you haven't given a answer ? On my 75 gal I was having the same issue and it was stray voltage. Let us know what you find out

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have used both GE I and GE II with no issues. But the GE II needs like 2 weeks to air dry, as the vapors in the silicone have caused death.

OP
OP
R

Riccio16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find my voltometer yesterday, but plan on checking into that this weekend. In searching GE I vs GE II, while there still seems to be some debate, I'm feeling confident that the mold inhibitors in the GE II Kitchen and Bath are going to be the culprit. I'll keep you posted on the voltage though, because I'd hate to have to rebuild my sump if it is just an electrical thing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back