New tank Ammonia Levels

Cassidy79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

i have set up my first Reef tank and like everyone have a ton of questions, but most importantly. the tank has been running fro 4 weeks now and the Ammonia levels have not gone down at all, i have done weekly 25% water changes and still no luck. Can anyone help or is this normal until the tank runs its cycle??

i have currently 2 clown fish, 2 firefish and 1 emerald crab.

thanks

OP
OP
C

Cassidy79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Timfish if your tank is brand new in every way and 4 weeks old then old rock die off, same with substrate or livestock’s dying. What is the test kit and test results?
My test kit is the API kit, it is hard to get an exact reading due to the color template but it is close to .50 on the ammonia

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like API's alkalinity, pH and calcium but thier ammonia leaves something to be desired. I'd suggest networking with local aquarists and try different test kits for the various parmeters you'll be testing to see hwat you find easiest to use. (FWIW I use Nyos and Red Sea for nitrates, Nyos and Elos for PO4, Salifert and Red Sea for magnesium, and never test for nitrites.)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried, just dump a bit bottle of cycling bacteria in and call it a day. Usually 0.5 on api indicates some ammonia. People get very confused between 0 and 0.25 which is when I'm usually more cautious in the reading. Nitrite is processed more slowly by cycling bacteria and thus should be present if ammonia is not being eliminated fast. If you see nitrite, then I would be more concerned about the ammonia.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back