OP
OP
cdmckinzie

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been watching some of BRS 52 weeks and they are very helpful, and trolling youtube and anywhere else we get info. But I have a question. We have a 150g tank, and 10 times the water volume needs to move an hour, and the pump moves appx. 5 times gph, we were going to get 2 current eflux 660gph wave pumps because we got the current ic loop led light system. But when we read about these pumps on the websites they say these are good for a 55g tank and only for up to 3/8" glass, will they absolutely not stick on 1/2" glass? The 1050gph says it's good for a 75g tank and will stick on 1/2" glass. Why if they move 660gph is it not good enough for a 150g tank? That is 4.5 times the volume with one pump which adds up to 9.5 times water volume. If we got the 1050gph that's even more. So why are both listed for smaller tanks and can we use the 2 660gph ones, will they stay on our tank even though it's 1/2" glass? Has anyone tried to see if the 660gph will stick on thicker glass? Is there any way to get it to stick on glass that's slightly thicker? Sorry so much to read, thanks for any info.

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the 1/2 inch glass issue. I can say the loop system is kind of luke warm. The lights aren't nearly as strong as the pro version of their lights. I think it all depends on the type of coral you want. I am running a single icecap gyre 3000 gph wavemaker at 50% on my 90. It seems to make a nice flow, but then again I'm brand new and don't know much about anything.

OP
OP
cdmckinzie

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info. I had someone on here refer us to the current ic loop system, and we were looking at it anyway because it runs the lights and wave pumps together and syncs the lights and wave pumps to simulate light storms, heavy storms and will turn off pumps for feeding, cleaning etc. But we Really not going to get into sps corals for quite some time. The thing I am worried about is I do want a maxima clam in the next year or so and we figured we'd have to get another light for that anyway because they need alot of light. We do want some soft corals to begin with. But I would li,e to hear from people who have these wave pumps or any wave pumps to tell us why there is a discrepancy with the numbers and if the smaller pumps will stick on 1/2" glass

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried that pump specifically, but I have 1/2" thick glass and a vortech mp10 power head (which uses a magnet only rated for 3/8" thickness), and I have had no problem. I read mixed reviews for other people as far as having it fall off from time to time.

OP
OP
cdmckinzie

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago I received the Aquatic Life twist in ro/di system that I won on this forum. I really appreciate and want to thank everyone involved. I'm so glad I found reef2reef!

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the picture of your tank what is the clear white, silicone "X"?

My input is to start the tank with macro algae then do the rest. And to protect the macro with some kinda of sump which can just be an egg crate partition plus some added side lights.

You can make a sump from 30g or so storage containers, the overflow from pvc, and so on. That would same a lot of money.

If you're not doing corals, fluorescent building supply store type utility lights can work especially if hidden in a hood of some kind.

A week after setup consider common male mollies as the first fish and don't add food the first week. Once you keep the mollies for ~3 weeks then try the more expensive marine only fish.

Just some thoughts

Worth at most .02

OP
OP
cdmckinzie

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "x" is silicon where the previous owner had glued a big piece of black acrylic to the back of the tank. My hubby will be completely çleaning that out of there. We do want corals eventually but only want a few softies to begin with. We have the current orbit loop led system. We got a 40g breeder tank for the sump that hubby is getting the acrylic baffles kit for. We are almost there!

OP
OP
cdmckinzie

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Current eflux flow pump, 1900gph, today. Now all we need are the wave pumps and the sump set up and barrels for water storage. We should be up and running hopefully by father's day. Does anyone in the central Florida area have any plastic barrels around 20 gallons for sale or know where we can get some?

OP
OP
cdmckinzie

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We FINALLY got the sump kit for our 40g breeder sump. Everything fits great. We just need an ato and the Current Orbit wave pumps and my hubby has to get going on putting it all together. With the way things have been going it will probably be another year before it's ready for fish, haha. I hope not

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 94 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back