New tank: Cycle and Stocking

Uptightjoker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,

I am new to reefing, and recently setup a 40B with 29G sump. The tank has been setup since 4/30. I used live sand and dry rock. After about 2 weeks, ammonia wasn't dropping at all, or not enough to notice on my red sea test kit, so I bought a bottle of Bio-Spira and added it. Since then I have tested every day or every other day depending on my availability and dosed back to 2ppm ammonia anytime it was below this. I was following instructions that your tank should be able to process 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours. My tank can process the ammonia, in 24 hours the ammonia is at 0 or VERY near it, however, my nitrites are still around .5ppm after 24 hours. Is this acceptable? The tank has followed this trend for over a week. Dose to 2ppm ammonia, test next day, 0 ammonia, .5 nitrite. Before this week the nitrites were much higher, due to them being lower now I think I made it over the nitrite hump, and the tank is fully cycled and it's likely the cheap test kit, or very small amounts, but I wanted to ask people/someone with experience on if I was okay to add fish.

The 2nd part is stocking if/when my tank is ready. Currently there seems to be negligible algae growth or issues in the tank. I want to start the tank with a pair of black and white Ocellaris clownfish. That left me with the CUC, which I was planning on stocking light since there are no issues currently, but I'm not even sure if I'm on the right track. There's many kinds of snails for a billion different types of algae and waste. (I also want to get a shortspined or pincushion urchin, even if I have to feed it, but waiting on that). I don't have a LFS, or at least not one that stocks saltwater fish. I have a few stores to buy supplies, but it's a 2.5 hour drive to the closest store with livestock. I was planning on ordering on live aquaria which lead me to compile this list for the CUC:
5 Cerinth Snail
10 Nassarius snail (sand is relatively deep, 2-3 inches in most places)
5 Scarlet reef hermits

Is this too much? Too little? Need more variety? I know the CUC will typically grow and expand as the tank does, but I don't want to be too heavily stocked where I need to do alot of direct feeding for the CUC, but I don't want to be so little that I have nothing and algae is able to become an issue easily without anyone fighting it.

I know this was alot to read and that the two topics may have been different threads, but since it was all related to me being new I figured it'd be easier to keep track of just making one thread, also thanks for actually bothering to read my giant wall of text

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria that turns nitrite into nitrate is slower growing than the ammonia to nitrite ones so its perfectly normal to still see nitrite. You can add your first fish or two. A pair of clowns is typically a good choice. You can get clowns online too and several sites pre-qt the fish for you (divers den, tsm, and others) . I like to get an extra bottle of bacteria to add with the fish just in case.

As for the cleanup crew, all of that at once would be too much. Also, a variety of snail types is best. I would also highly recommend a conch sometime.

OP
OP
U

Uptightjoker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my worry with the CUC, I may have to make the drive to get smaller quantities, or order elsewhere online.

And yes! I want to get a conch but I want to get the tank established with livestock before I go for something so ravenous.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my worry with the CUC, I may have to make the drive to get smaller quantities, or order elsewhere online.

And yes! I want to get a conch but I want to get the tank established with livestock before I go for something so ravenous.

You could also just get an algae wafer or something or a seaweed clip to feed the cuc until your tank can feed them without it.

OP
OP
U

Uptightjoker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking with about doing and getting an urchin right away (urchins are super cool to me) but I didn't know enough about how sensitive they are to changes or anything, and with it being a new tank I don't want to stock it just to kill things so I had decided to wait until I've had fish a month or two without killing them lol.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking with about doing and getting an urchin right away (urchins are super cool to me) but I didn't know enough about how sensitive they are to changes or anything, and with it being a new tank I don't want to stock it just to kill things so I had decided to wait until I've had fish a month or two without killing them lol.

Urchins are by far the one of the best at algae. As with the others, you would want to put a seaweed clip in for them to eat in the mean time.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have done a great job. It looks like your tank has cycled, and the 0.5 Nitrite might be nothing more than a kit testing error. Check your Nitrates, they might be very high and need a Water Change (WC), unless you are running a Refugium in your sump, then the Macro Algae are cleaning things up, but still check your Nitrate level to make sure.

I would suggest that, and this is the hard part, you leave your main display lights off for a couple more weeks. (I would leave them off for 6 weeks). Maybe only turning them on briefly to enjoy the tank and fish. As this is a young tank, you still have a lot of biological warfare going on, now is not the time to have an Algae flare up, reinforced by bright display lights. Get your sump running, a refugium if you plan on using one, and let that settle in for a few weeks with your fish, and feeding habits, before lighting your tank. Just a suggestion to try and minimize the ugly tank phase. Also seek other suggestions that might fit your needs better.

Best of luck, and welcome.

OP
OP
U

Uptightjoker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have done a great job. It looks like your tank has cycled, and the 0.5 Nitrite might be nothing more than a kit testing error. Check your Nitrates, they might be very high and need a Water Change (WC), unless you are running a Refugium in your sump, then the Macro Algae are cleaning things up, but still check your Nitrate level to make sure.

I would suggest that, and this is the hard part, you leave your main display lights off for a couple more weeks. (I would leave them off for 6 weeks). Maybe only turning them on briefly to enjoy the tank and fish. As this is a young tank, you still have a lot of biological warfare going on, now is not the time to have an Algae flare up, reinforced by bright display lights. Get your sump running, a refugium if you plan on using one, and let that settle in for a few weeks with your fish, and feeding habits, before lighting your tank. Just a suggestion to try and minimize the ugly tank phase. Just a suggestion, please also seek other suggestions.

Best of luck, and welcome.

Awesome!yeah the nitrates are super high and I'll be doing a 50% water change tomorrow. I plan on getting some macro algae down the road but wanted to get livestock first!

And I was planning on leaving lights off other than for viewing until I start getting corals in a couple/few months! I really appreciate the feedback

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!yeah the nitrates are super high and I'll be doing a 50% water change tomorrow. I plan on getting some macro algae down the road but wanted to get livestock first!

And I was planning on leaving lights off other than for viewing until I start getting corals in a couple/few months! I really appreciate the feedback

Try this company for Chaeto https://addictivereefkeeping.com/pr...a-macro-algae-chaeto-reef-free-shipping-copy/

I just bought two cups from him, and have been very happy with how clean, and how well it looked when it arrived. It did take about a week for it to arrive from FL to TN, but part of that was USPS. Another topic for another time is Chaeto, light, and additives. But for now, a Compact Florescent Light in a cheap metal reflector will work. You want that Refugium up and running so it can compete with the DT Algae when you turn on the DT lights.

OP
OP
U

Uptightjoker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this company for Chaeto https://addictivereefkeeping.com/pr...a-macro-algae-chaeto-reef-free-shipping-copy/

I just bought two cups from him, and have been very happy with how clean, and how well it looked when it arrived. It did take about a week for it to arrive from FL to TN, but part of that was USPS. Another topic for another time is Chaeto, light, and additives. But for now, a Compact Florescent Light in a cheap metal reflector will work. You want that Refugium up and running so it can compete with the DT Algae when you turn on the DT lights.
Thanks! I was planning on starting up the fuge in a week or two once I had fish in and things seemed okay, I'll check it out in the meantime though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back