New Tank Cycle Question

TangLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have been following the BRS Biome Series. My goal is to use the mud/live sand option to see my current dry rock. I have a 240 to setup and I am going to have a fair amount of tangs.

I am OCD about parasites etc. I plan on doing a full quarantine process.

However, I am worried that my live sand, or mud, will be carrying parasites(ich/velvet) right off the bat. Do I need to go fallow if I use the mud/live sand?

Thank you in advance!!!

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand would have to come out of an infected tank less than 45 days ago. If it's in a bag then the sand has probably been 'fallow' for more than 45 days already.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello! I have been following the BRS Biome Series. My goal is to use the mud/live sand option to see my current dry rock. I have a 240 to setup and I am going to have a fair amount of tangs.

I am OCD about parasites etc. I plan on doing a full quarantine process.

However, I am worried that my live sand, or mud, will be carrying parasites(ich/velvet) right off the bat. Do I need to go fallow if I use the mud/live sand?

Thank you in advance!!!
Live sand in bags or ocean direct?
If in the bags such as carib Sea- should be clear. If you set tank up and are quarantining for 30 days (kudos on this step) - the sand will be dormant. In essence- tank will be fallow during the QT process

OP
OP
T

TangLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If in the bags such as carib Sea- should be clear. If you set tank up and are quarantining for 30 days (kudos on this step) - the sand will be dormant. In essence- tank will be fallow during the QT.
If in the bags such as carib Sea- should be clear. If you set tank up and are quarantining for 30 days (kudos on this step) - the sand will be dormant.

I was going to ocean direct. Just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t be kicking myself down the road.

Looked into AF Mud as well.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you! I thought it was 77+ days?
76 days is an old fallow period which through studies is 45-60 days based on life cycle of parasites

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
T

TangLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of them but use Carib sea aragalive
What do you think of adding live copedpods/phytoplankton keeping in mind parasites? Fallow needed for that?

I apologize for any OCD type behaviors. Just want my fish to thrive. Had a wipe out when I was much younger.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make certain to fallow your RODI water , just to be safe :cool:
Just Relax Episode 15 GIF by Soul Train

JayHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of adding live copedpods/phytoplankton keeping in mind parasites? Fallow needed for that?

I apologize for any OCD type behaviors. Just want my fish to thrive. Had a wipe out when I was much younger.
If you buy from a trusted source of any of those live micros than you shouldn’t need to worry at all.

Also don’t feel you need to apologize for OCD . I promise you that you are not the first nor the last person with OCD to join into the community. Myself included. I have OCD of colors and cleanliness. But just remember to breathe and observe and you will be fine

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Copepods and phyto safe to add

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back