OP
OP
R

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has their own way of doing things listen to everyone and the go from there and develop a system that works for you and your tank
I can use my live rock frkmmy old tank .which 3 years old . But cant use the sand .since I'm using a different sand for the new build .

Do you think it would be helpfull if I take the new sand place it in a cup in my old tank for few week for the bacteria To get init and place it in the new tank .

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure with it not having actually contact with existing sand but it wont hurt anything and there is always bacteria in the water that should populate the sand in the cup even a pinch of the old sand in the new tank is enoff to transfer the existing bacteria

OP
OP
R

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure with it not having actually contact with existing sand but it wont hurt anything and there is always bacteria in the water that should populate the sand in the cup even a pinch of the old sand in the new tank is enoff to transfer the existing bacteria
Will try to get some old same from the tank and mix it a bit .and see the luck. Hope it works

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or put your cup of sand in old tank put some old sand on top of new in cup then remove old sand carefully a few a few weeks without mixing the 2 just an idea

OP
OP
R

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all .today I added some sand from my old tank and Il will test best parameters in 2 days time .
Shall I added some clean up crew or fish to eat the algae .
After adding I notice some kinda algae. Bot sure what it Is.nit sure if it's a Good or a bad sign.

Btw it's in Only 1 rock .shall I take the rock out and clean it . 20201006_224912.jpg 20201006_224904.jpg

Attachments

• 20201006_224923.mp4
    7.9 MB

NinjaTiLL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all .today I added some sand from my old tank and Il will test best parameters in 2 days time .
After adding I notice some kinda algae. Bot sure what it Is.nit sure if it's a Good or a bad sign.

Btw it's in Only 1 rock .shall I take the rock out and clean it . 20201006_224912.jpg 20201006_224904.jpg
Leave the algae alone for now. No clean up crew needed until your cycle is actually complete. Wait till ammonia and nitrite both measure 0.

OP
OP
R

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the algae alone for now. No clean up crew needed until your cycle is actually complete. Wait till ammonia and nitrite both measure 0.
It's in just 1 rock il left the rock in a side .is it ok without it spreading all over all other Rocks

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
Hope everyone is doing good

I have 40 gallon tank which I have been running successfully for 3 years .as far as I remember I added the fish too quick and dosed seachem stability. And it worked for me and it's still been working .

I made new 120 gallon tank . Added to freshwater fish for 2 day with little food to check if the water is ok then added red sea salt .left the tank to run for about 1 week .

Added sand and dry rocks .waited 2 days started dosing seachem stability again .its been 3 days test the water the ph ammonia and nitrate have increased. Nit sure if I'm doing it right.

I didn't want to use the rocks in my old tank since the 2 tangs fish in the tank has HLLE currently .

Can I added the Rocks frin the old tank .is HLLE like white spots?

Shall I added few fish and add seachem stability as the seachem team advised

I'm not sure if the current water test if it's safeto add fish and use stability as the seachem team advised.

The picture with ammonia only show the level of ammonia before adding stability .

2nd picture with the current readings

Thanks in advance .

20201005_211901.jpg 20201003_021840.jpg

If you have another container that can hold 10ML you can just double the solution and get more accurate results.

Never have I used that product or any other like it so can not say but putting a few small pieces of live rock will help the cycle along with a hand full of sand anytime there is an increase in nutrients in a closed loop system you will go threw a cycle weather it be large or small which is why you should always go slow and try and midigate the ammonia and nitrites portion as much as possible threw added products you trust or an increase in water changes decreasing in amount and how often until it stabilizes

I would never ever ever recommend this to anyone but I cycle my tanks with half of everything including coral that will be in the tank then 6 to 8 months later add the other half with 0 losses which is why I can say it can be done safely if done properly but should never ever ever be attempted by someone without an advanced knowledge of what exactly is happing in their tank so please do not try it

I similarly cycle my tanks with livestock and softies / easy LPS inside.

I let it get to an “acceptable level” add some micro Baxter or turbo start or whateverbacteria boost of your choice and add fish within 1-2 days.

always been my route. But just figure out what works for you.

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say add some Dr Tims and just be patient.. I didn't add fish for three weeks - didn't ghost feed - but did use some dead rock I purchased with the tank which had been in a mixing barrel for a month or two with live sand and bacterial booster.. so had something for the bacteria to eat... anyways.. looks like you're pretty early on in the cycle by the test results.. just be patient.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In my opinion in a fresh tank like your this is a good sign everyone else is right let it be for now

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are starting to work as they should if that makes since and if you remove every rock that get algea right now and clean it you will never be done with your cycle as you will be resetting some of it each time

OP
OP
R

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks For all the support guy.
Is this start of the cycling or since I used the bacteria source it has speed up the process .

Do I need to turn my skimmer on from this stage .since some days skimmer need to be for for 4 or 5 days .stop ghost feeding or keep on feeding .

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd leave the skimmer off untill showing good parameters and continue to ghost feed then right before you add a fish turn the skimmer on and do a major water change to drop nitrites to a good safe level add fish and feed

OP
OP
R

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
Hope everyone doing good .

Just an update . I test the tank today results show bit improved I Guess . Will wait for bit and turn the skimmer on

20201007_165520.jpg 20201007_165520.jpg 20201007_213753.jpg

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back