New Tank! Help...

Breeing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so i've been in the hobby and year and am moving my existing 20 gallon to the new 50 wide!!

I want to do this right.. but on a budget.

Equipment:
DSunY 36" LED
2x Jebao PP-4
Remora HOB Skimmer w/ Colbalt 1200 Pump
Eheim 150 watt Heater
Aquaticlife Twist-In RODI Unit

Filter:
Can't do sump or refugum yet... Its something i'm going to work towards, but will a Fluval C4 HOB be okay for now, i'd just transfer it from the old to the new tank. Or is there another filter i should get and would work long term?

Extras:

60Ibs Aragamax Dry sand
30lbs Live rock
40lbs Dry rock
Reef Crystal Salt

I have 20lbs of fiji pink live sand thats been used to a year in my established tank... wasn't sure if i should use it or toss it for the new tank to help with the trasition?

So basically, the filter and sand question plus the obvious... am i missing anything!?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand. Just take the top 1/2" to 1" of sand and move over to the new aquarium. The bottom of sand in the existing aquarium will have to be thoroughly rinsed if you want to reuse.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaClear 70 Filter
I would not get the C4 I have that model and I do not really like it. Get the largest Aqua Clear and then look into the custom caddys that fit in them I think one company is Intank.

OP
OP
B

Breeing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! I only have a thin sand layer in my 20 gallon and the sand is a year old and I tossed it min each month. But I may just put a few handfuls in the new tank and the rest new sand.

I have the fluval C4 already on my 20 and I agree it's not my favourite and it's half broken anyways. lol

I have a lot of experience with the aquaclears and do really like them and was looking at the new seachem tidal!! They look really good, are they going to be enough and good for this tank though?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back