New tank. How do my numbers look?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a VERY new reefer but that looks like the same thing I have going on and I’ve been told it’s bryopsis.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to follow your progress with it. I’m waiting on a skimmer and have had the lights out. The algae is turning white but I think it will come right back as soon as it gets light again. I believe it came in on hermits as that’s the only thing I’ve added and it went for 5 weeks without any sign of it before the hermits came...mine is only on the glass...for now...I plan on removing everything, scraping and cleaning the tank walls with peroxide and hope for the best

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a sample of my water to my LFS and they came back at 0 phosphates as well. Guess the ro/di water I bought has phosphates in it. I purchased a 4 stage value plus ro/di from brs today and should have it on Friday.

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its been a while since I posted in this thread, but I wanted to post my last months testing results and ask some opinions. I realize this is still a very new tank and parameter swings will occur but is it normal to see a 2 dkh swing in a week in a tank with 3x ~20 polyp zoa colonies and a 2 polyp hammer coral? I also have coralline growth forming on my rock work too. Should I even be concerned with a 2 dkh swing in a week or should I begin to consider dosing to stabilize my alk? Or should I play wait and see? Thanks!

PARAMETERS HERE

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its been a while since I posted in this thread, but I wanted to post my last months testing results and ask some opinions. I realize this is still a very new tank and parameter swings will occur but is it normal to see a 2 dkh swing in a week in a tank with 3x ~20 polyp zoa colonies and a 2 polyp hammer coral? I also have coralline growth forming on my rock work too. Should I even be concerned with a 2 dkh swing in a week or should I begin to consider dosing to stabilize my alk? Or should I play wait and see? Thanks!

PARAMETERS HERE

Yes, I would dose to stabilize the alk.

No, 2 dKH in a week is not unexpected. It is actually pretty small. In a soft coral tank with growing coralline, 2 dKH per day is not unusual. :)

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's definitely Bryopsis, get it taken care of before it starts to take over your tank

It was exterminated with fluconazole and I haven't seen any regrowth in the last 3 or so weeks. Glad I did that early before it took over! ;)

Yes, I would dose to stabilize the alk.

No, 2 dKH in a week is not unexpected. It is actually pretty small. In a soft coral tank with growing coralline, 2 dKH per day is not unusual. :)

Thanks Randy! Ill begin testing daily to get a better idea of daily consumption. Would 2 part be the way to go? It seems like my calcium and magnesium are currently being maintained by my weekly water changes but I can begin dosing those too if I should provide that stability

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was exterminated with fluconazole and I haven't seen any regrowth in the last 3 or so weeks. Glad I did that early before it took over! ;)

Thanks Randy! Ill begin testing daily to get a better idea of daily consumption. Would 2 part be the way to go? It seems like my calcium and magnesium are currently being maintained by my weekly water changes but I can begin dosing those too if I should provide that stability

A two part is a fine choice. With a 2 dKH per week drop in alk, the expected drops in calcium (about 13 ppm) and especially magnesium (1 pm or less) are too small to detect week to week, and if the salt mix has extra calcium in it, water changes may be plenty. But the two part also will not boost it too much.

OP
OP
btmedic04

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A two part is a fine choice. With a 2 dKH per week drop in alk, the expected drops in calcium (about 13 ppm) and especially magnesium (1 pm or less) are too small to detect week to week, and if the salt mix has extra calcium in it, water changes may be plenty. But the two part also will not boost it too much.

Thanks Randy! I'll get the two part starter kit from BRS and just dose alk until water changes stop keeping up on cal and mag

Back